Scratch and Treats Can Reduce Egg Production

Pics

Outta Here

Songster
May 17, 2021
All of us love to treat our girls, but the kinds of treats they get can lower egg production. It's just math. Laying pullets/hens need 16% to lay well. If 90% of her daily intake is 16% layer feed and 10% of her daily feed is 9% scratch, her protein intake is lowered to 15.3%. If you underestimate how much you are treating and you give her 20% scratch, her protein intake is now lowered to 14.6%. If you give her 30%, she's only getting 13.9% protein.
How easy is it to underestimate how much you are giving? Here are two pictures of 1/4 lb of feed, the total of what a laying hen will eat in a day. Under it is a picture of 1/10 of that in corn (by weight). On the lower right is how much a handful holds (4.5 times as much as the tablespoon each hen should get).
One handful of scratch for every 4.5 chickens is maximum to make sure they are only getting treated 10% of their diet. Or one tablespoon of scratch per chicken! How many of us toss them handful after handful? I know I was blithely guilty of this until I crunched the numbers. Now I don't even feed 9% scratch, because what is the purpose of lowering their protein? Instead, I give one handful per chicken of dried Black Soldier Fly Larvae. They are much lighter in weight than scratch, so .4 oz equals about one handful. Since BSFL is 45% protein, this results in raising their daily protein level to 18.9%.
Or I treat them with a fermented homemade organic whole-grain scratch of 17.9% protein consisting of corn, wheat, split peas, oats, alfalfa pellets, black oil sunflower seeds and kelp. They would like to skip the peas and alfalfa and just gobble the corn, but those are the main protein in the mix, so I only give enough that they clean their plates of every morsel.
Note: Free-range chickens, in addition to their 16-18% layer feed, are getting extra protein in the insects they eat. For free-rangers, garden produce treats are just another part of their balanced free-ranging diet and aren't crucial to limit.
feed.jpg

Last edited:
Great visual! You could make an article with visuals like that for different kinds of treat foods.

I never weighed my handful of scratch, but that's what I've been doing -- one handful of scratch for the 5-hen adult flock. Not more than twice a week most weeks and I throw it into the areas of the run that need to be worked over so that they have to earn it by foraging for it.

I personally don't ration vegetable trimmings or garden weeds since I figure that they'd eat all the vegetation they wanted if they were ranging. I try to give about 2 dubias per hen a couple times a week -- but that rationing is based on making the dubias last until my sister visits again to bring me more. :D Again, they'd eat all the bugs they could catch if ranging.

@Veelee , as 3KillerBs said... that post could be used as part of an article.

I use a 20% feed so I'm not worried about protein dilution but I do concern myself about diluting other nutrients. I measure the five grain...up to 1/2 cup for the 13 late in the day. I don't measure/count kitchen scraps as it's less often and taken into account come scratch time.

I had to rethink the treat regimen after I told my wife that they had already had their treat...her reply: Not from me, they haven't. I realized they had probably been getting way too much treat then. Now, the primary "treat" is pellets. I feed crumble so they think (or I think they think) pellets are a treat.

@Veelee , as 3KillerBs said... that post could be used as part of an article.

I use a 20% feed so I'm not worried about protein dilution but I do concern myself about diluting other nutrients. I measure the five grain...up to 1/2 cup for the 13 late in the day. I don't measure/count kitchen scraps as it's less often and taken into account come scratch time.

I had to rethink the treat regimen after I told my wife that they had already had their treat...her reply: Not from me, they haven't. I realized they had probably been getting way too much treat then. Now, the primary "treat" is pellets. I feed crumble so they think (or I think they think) pellets are a treat.
Love your wife's reply!!! Yep, we love to treat!

Great visual! You could make an article with visuals like that for different kinds of treat foods.

I never weighed my handful of scratch, but that's what I've been doing -- one handful of scratch for the 5-hen adult flock. Not more than twice a week most weeks and I throw it into the areas of the run that need to be worked over so that they have to earn it by foraging for it.

I personally don't ration vegetable trimmings or garden weeds since I figure that they'd eat all the vegetation they wanted if they were ranging. I try to give about 2 dubias per hen a couple times a week -- but that rationing is based on making the dubias last until my sister visits again to bring me more. :D Again, they'd eat all the bugs they could catch if ranging.
Hey, dubias are about 20% protein!!👍 Last week I threw them hook worms from my tomatoes and then saw they are 4% calcium, higher than Black Soldier Fly worms! Ain't insects great? Especially free ones!

Hey, dubias are about 20% protein!!👍 Last week I threw them hook worms from my tomatoes and then saw they are 4% calcium, higher than Black Soldier Fly worms! Ain't insects great? Especially free ones!

My sister raises dubias for her pet reptiles and sells some of her extras, but she gifted me a mini-colony.

Back
Top Bottom