Scratch and Treats Can Reduce Egg Production

I can't help myself...please check the price tags at your feed store. Feather Fixer isn't worth paying extra for. If you want to raise the protein I'm willing to bet that the chick feed is cheaper than this feather fixer you're buying and higher in protein.
Cool, thanks! Will do.

Just want to say that even though our temps have been in the high 90s for weeks now (with the exception of a cold snap recently for 3 or 4 days where we were "only " in the upper 80's), egg production has not dropped off this summer as it usually does. We have been putting bottles of frozen water in their drinking water this year. Nothing else is really different.

Just want to say that even though our temps have been in the high 90s for weeks now (with the exception of a cold snap recently for 3 or 4 days where we were "only " in the upper 80's), egg production has not dropped off this summer as it usually does.
I would continue with the Feather Fixer as your egg production is great this summer.
I fed Feather Fixer for about a year, says on bag or website that you can feed year round.
I,m currently feeding a Non-medicated Starter Grower 18% to my 4 ISA Browns 15 months old with Oyster Shells separately and getting 27/28 eggs weekly.
I give them a wet mash early afternoon when temps are above 80 F/26 C.
20210806_140632.jpg

GC

I would continue with the Feather Fixer as your egg production is great this summer.
I fed Feather Fixer for about a year, says on bag or website that you can feed year round.
I,m currently feeding a Non-medicated Starter Grower 18% to my 4 ISA Browns 15 months old with Oyster Shells separately and getting 27/28 eggs weekly.
I give them a wet mash early afternoon when temps are above 80 F/26 C.View attachment 2795776
GC
I like that pic, GC, unusual camera angle shows a different look to the feathering on this breed than I've ever seen before! ❤️

Kiki what about gamebird feed? Anything wrong with feeding it to chicks?
That's the most bang for your buck at the mill I shop.
I feed it to my chicks. 🤪. My quail chicks.

I believe too high protein can be bad for some but is gamebird feed too high?
I'd guess not.

I feed it to my chicks. 🤪. My quail chicks.

I believe too high protein can be bad for some but is gamebird feed too high?
I'd guess not.
The problem with most information about chickens is that the studies are done for maximum egg production, from the poultry industry, which isn’t synonymous with longest term health, or relative quality of life for the bird which admittedly is difficult to determine as they can’t tell us. My own personal beliefs about raising them is I want to give them the best life I can. All organic food, filtered water the same as I drink, and no exposure to chemicals as I can possibly provide. I’m leery about oyster shells as they probably aren’t tested for heavy metals. I’ve already raised hackles about that. I’d gladly give up an egg or two per week if they live longer and stay healthier. I’ll start with an all organic diet, as close as I can achieve. The Modesto Organic Milling company seems to make great stuff, I’ve used their non soy non corn chick starter crumble and have started to introduce a handful of their whole grain layer, which looks and smells great. I’ve given black soldier fly larvae as treats, all kinds of wild dandelion and arugula/chicory greens, chard, collards, all organic fruits, organic scratch in those Poppy Pecker gizmos for entertainment, as soon as I feel comfortable with their size and age, I’ll introduce them to all the greens in my yard. They seem to want/like greens more than anything else.

I’d like to see studies done on long term health, what affects their longevity, how much egg laying and diet contribute. I will do experiments on influencing yolk color with organic turmeric, paprika, chilies, dark leafy greens and carotenoid rich vegetables and fruits, kelp, brewers yeast w garlic. I’m not interested in forcing them to lay as many eggs as possible, but producing the highest quality eggs and giving them the longest, best life I can..I’m sure everyone here does too..

Attachments

• 74E0144E-6EB1-4D21-8EDA-121832935DBC.jpeg
    74E0144E-6EB1-4D21-8EDA-121832935DBC.jpeg
    837.3 KB · Views: 10
  • 6D7D5E78-7239-48C5-B0E4-303C74564E44.jpeg
    6D7D5E78-7239-48C5-B0E4-303C74564E44.jpeg
    570.1 KB · Views: 11
  • 72339560-4BF2-4821-BA84-051E8B287C0F.jpeg
    72339560-4BF2-4821-BA84-051E8B287C0F.jpeg
    660.1 KB · Views: 11
  • 48F7A6D3-D2D0-48C3-A9A3-37544329012D.jpeg
    48F7A6D3-D2D0-48C3-A9A3-37544329012D.jpeg