Scratch and Treats Can Reduce Egg Production

You can't be squeamish handling Dubia roaches. They do remind me of those giant roaches that came out at night in Los Angeles, California. Good thing they don't fly.
I'm in Santa Rosa. No roaches on our farm, knock on wood! I haven't had anything that I fed my chickens slow down their laying. Each hen usually lays 6 eggs then rest 1 day. Sound familiar? My banties lay year round, they never rest unless they're sitting on eggs which they love to do, too often for me, lol! I have plenty pullets as replacements. When my flock is out searching for bugs and I walk out the back door, they come running and gliding, just to see if I have something special for them. It's great to be needed, lol!

Today I introduced mealworms to my 3-week old chicks. They've been getting grit for several days now. At first they were frightened, then uncertain, then timidly curious, but finally the rush was on! Tomorrow we are moving them from the house to the outside brooder, so I wanted to give them something good to help tame them as they grow. My chickens are not pets but I do want them to come when I call, and mealworms have always worked for me in the past.

Back
Top Bottom