**~~>>Second Annual Cinco de Mayo Turkey Hatchathon<<~~**all poultry welcome!

My straight jacket is diamond studded red and black satin with tulle.
big_smile.png

This old biddie is getting waaaay too behind in her extra long sleeve secure jacket orders.

And it is way past my bedtime.

I would like to hatch along but I have gotten my eggs now, I have 24 Black Copper Marans, 12 brahma , And 12 barrad rocks. I set the BCM tonight and last saturday I set the Brahma and the BR. But if you will let me join in I will be hatching Early!!
thumbsup.gif

Quote:
lau.gif
OMG--Godzilla terrifying the chicks!

I can see the BO being drama queens. I was feeding over ripe alcohol spiked bananas today, and the roosters yelled for the girls who swooped in yanked a bite and raced for cover. THe roosters stayed to eat, the 5 girls ran over each other again and again. lol

DiDi also had a Lurkey. Now she has Lil Lurkey.

And I have Lurkettes from Lurkey. And soon to be Lil Lurkettes.

They arrived today. It's not too soon to candle. I knows it.

Not sure where my day went but just now sitting down at the computer and it's almost bedtime.

Oh yeah... my time goes to work, seeds, chicks, goats, turkeys, ducks, hoop houses, bee hives, sewing...
duc.gif

Yes... sewing.

Muwahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
And the nice thing about turkey eggs is that theyare whitic=sh and easy to candle and they take 28 days, 7 extra days to candle . . . . . where is that straight jacket!

well.. it seems I have been hijacked...

In all honesty i don't know if I will be hatching turkeys this year .. my bators are full.. and I still have a bunch out in the coop that need to go to Camp Kenmore!

BUT.. I did just throw this together for y'all:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/turkey-incubation-and-hatching-guide

it's a work in progress.. but I think it may help a smidge

and I'll let y'all know if I decide to throw some turkey eggs in the bator this time around!
Quote:
awesome! kickin off my shoes and turnin on the "DISH Hopper"

I WANT THIS CHAIR
Quote: WAIT ! That's old?
I can take 2 or 3 more orders for a six pack of Black Spanish eggs that I can send out on Monday or Tuesday for the hatch along if anyone is still looking for eggs... PM me if interested

My first thought "DUDE those are freakin awesome!" I cant wait until my WFS chickens get the white faces! they are only 3 months old and pretty bland!
Here are a few hints that I've given in previous group hatches, some for those new to incubating, others just asides:

I just checked my email.. got this:

gig.gif

my friends are as weird as I am... yeah.. that's her way of saying "happy easter"
lau.gif
Bahaaaaahahhahhahaaa!! I like your friends!
Quote: That sounds horrible! Do you have a brace in your mouth? Our Daughter had some sorta contraption for her jaw, it was horrible!
Quote: I've saved chicks that had to have the food and water carried to them multiple times per day. They survived to 6+ mos, still needing hand care and to be lifted into the coop at night. I've done this more than once. My mantra now is, "No special needs chicks."
Sorry, Durr, I know this is not what you want to hear, but I agree with these two (and the others) and it was my experience, as well. My little Woodsey never got enough to eat, would stay right on my heels begging to be fed, and would stay at the feeder when I wasn't there, trying to get enough. It was horrible to watch him waste away and finally die. I kicked myself for being so cruel and selfish in the name of love. I will never do it again. I had to go through that experience, though, to know what to do the next time. Maybe you have to, as well. I hope I never have another one, but if I do, it will be humanely killed, quick and painless, out of love.
hugs.gif

I cull cross beaks (no idea why hatcheries insist on shipping them out in the first place.. but they do)

in my experience the "crossing" usually gets worse as the chick grows.. so even though it may be mild to start out.. as time goes by the majority get a lot worse.
since it's usually genetic there's really no need in keeping a deformed chick around. I know that sounds harsh.. but it's the reality of breeding poultry.

yeah you can TRY to keep them alive and fed.. but is the suffering really worth it?
that's something you will have to decide for yourself since it's your chick and you are the one who will have to deal with it either way
I have a great DH who typically does the culling, however, this Easter hatch I had the most horrific chick hatch and I just did it spontaneously, I told myself if I am going to get into this breeding thang, I need to put the big girl panties on and do what's best and as quickly as possible. But it did stink to have to do it, but you know what? I knew I done right. But she was an extreme case of deformity.
YAY! I can join all of you! Our Pencilled Palm birds are laying eggs and I've collected 7 from my friends (turkeys are on their property, I just hatch em).

I had to get the eggs early, so I'll be setting a few days before everyone else (sorry, don't want them to get old). We'll be selling the resulting poults.
Do you have pics of your Pencilled Palms?
And a little bit of humor to lighten the mood. I entered Crossy in the Celeb Look Alike Contest for one of the hatchalongs:

I think it's a dandy likeness.
Bahahhhaaaaaaaaa I recently did a lookalike! see below!!
Lol if I can just come up with a contest.

I know how bout a wet chicken contest? Instead of a wet t-shirt contest?!

Second Annual Cinco de Mayo Turkey Hatchathon

Mandatory Poultry Poetry Contest
WELL...... Not EXACTLY mandatory, but come on. anybody can write a Haiku! We want at least one entry from each participant.

Starts NOW -- Ends April 15Th Midnight CST
(then three days of voting)
Winner Announced April 19Th

Prizes! - Three Places - Winner's choice!
Prizes are subject to change, so don't decide not to enter because you don't like the prizes!
Shipping costs will be limited to $15 each, any amount above that will be the responsibility of the recipiant.

images
mystery_box1__40172_std.jpg
images

Prize List
Six Pack Surprize Hatching Eggs From ChooksChick
Mystery Box Prize (Do you feel lucky, huh?)
Hen & Eggs - Wire sculpture with wooden Eggs (9 1/2" x 11")
5+ Young Hosta Plants
1 McDonald's Happy Meal (or cash equivilent)
Six Pack BCM or OE (hen's choice) Hatching Eggs from Wisher1000

80 Colored Cable Ties for Chick ID

Loose Rules: (everything is loose in this hatchathon)
1. You may enter up to six poems, total. You may write and post as many as you want, but just PM me the six you wish to enter.
2. There must be no more than one submission per person, per day (I want to spread them out)
3. Poems must be poultry themed and one of the three types listed below.
Quatrains are limited to three stanzas.
4. Poems must be original, and unpublished.
5. Post your submissions on the main thread (here) and PM it to Wisher1000.
6. Open to all BYC members
7. Be sure to follow all of BYC's rules for content.
8. First place winner will get his/her choice of all available prizes. Winners will be announced on this thread and PMed their notification. Each must respond within 24 hours of the notification. If any of the winners do not respond to the PM request to choose a prize within the 24 hour time frame, the choice will go to the next place winners, in order.

Definition of Quatrain Poetry Type - Limited to Three Stanza's for this contest
A Quatrain Poetry Type or literary term is a stanza or poem of four lines. Lines 2 and 4 must rhyme. Lines 1 and 3 may or may not rhyme. Rhyming lines should have a similar number of syllables.

Definition of Limericks
Limericks are short sometimes bawdy, humorous poems of consisting of five
Anapaestic lines. Lines 1, 2, and 5 of a Limerick have seven to ten syllables and rhyme with one another. Lines 3 and 4 have five to seven syllables and also rhyme with each other.

Definition of Haiku Poetry Type
Haiku Poetry Type is a Japanese poem composed of three un-rhymed lines of five, seven, and five syllables. Haiku poetry originated in the sixteenth century and reflects on some aspect of nature and creates images.

oh my GAWD! "Anapestic"?
duc.gif
BRB running to take a few classes at the local

Okay, I'll kick this thing off --

I once had a hen that was broody.
She made the most foul smelling doodie.
Her eggs she kept warm
till all chicks were born,
and that would make anyone moody!

Limerick -
gig.gif

oh wow! so pretty! Adding she needs a henbag!
Quote:

"She be hiding in a hoodie, black as can be, with arms twisted back, without any slack.
with her Hood hung low and wobbling to and fro, can she tie 'em in a knot?
Can she tie 'em in a bow? Can she throw 'em o'er her shoulder? Like a continental soldier?

ooops that quickly got out of hand
hu.gif
I babysit for a living
duc.gif
need I say more

Quote:
Originally Posted by superchemicalgirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by gryeyes

Speaking of sewing.....she said, innocently.

Who... me?

I'm anything but innocent, lady.
images
Could you say that a little louder, please?!
clap.gif

Quote: Finally GOTCHA!
Quote: say wa?

You've been nabbed by HENN and that's your tracking number. Get over there and start reading the Cinco de Mayo thread, my love.

Chooks your amazing! I have not only read every single post in the thread, I have finally figured out that HENN = Hatchathon Enlistment Notification Net (hereafter known as HENN)
Thank you for the NAB! I have never been NABBED so good before!
bun.gif

Party on!

Last edited:
forever in a day,
in this shell should i stay?
or crack free and flee
there is such a big world to see!
to search for the scratch
and then take a nap.
run under trees,
and chase the bees.
then off to the roost for a night of sleep.
in the morning i wake with a peep.
my tail, it loves to twitch
and my new feathers, they itch.
i am growing big and strong.
and my crow it is long.
i will watch over my girls,
because they are my world.
i am a grown rooster,
and my name is brooster.

thought i'd throw up a poem about my big boy brooster.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom