Seems like it took FOREVER!!

Congrats on the 1st eggs.. My older girls are between 18-20 weeks,  we are not sure exactly how old they were when we actually got them, a few weeks. I check every day.. I cannot wait for my 1st egg.  Both my SLW are getting pretty red, and one out of the 2 of my EE's looks a bit redder..  only one of my speckled sussex's are getting red now.. the other still very pink..I am on pins and needles.  I just put out a pan of oyster shell for them just in case.
that is great... Everyone puts out oyster shell and I wanted to as well but I sent my husband for it and the girl at the store said I do not need it because I live in SC less then a mile from the beach and calcium is in the dirt as well as broken scells are in my dirt and grass. Do you think I need crushed oysters?

I really wouldn't know.. :( this is my first time owning chickens, but I think the people at the feed store may be right. If you have shells in your dirt and grass and the hens have access to it, you may not, but i am not sure. Hopefully someone with more experience will have an answer.

My husband had some of our small eggs for breakfast this morning and one was a double yoke! I wish I had taken a picture but was in a hurry to get to work. It was so cute! I still only have one hen laying. I can't wait for the other seven to start. Then I have four younger ones to start!

Congrats on the 1st eggs.. My older girls are between 18-20 weeks,  we are not sure exactly how old they were when we actually got them, a few weeks. I check every day.. I cannot wait for my 1st egg.  Both my SLW are getting pretty red, and one out of the 2 of my EE's looks a bit redder..  only one of my speckled sussex's are getting red now.. the other still very pink..I am on pins and needles.  I just put out a pan of oyster shell for them just in case.

As all our girls have proven and so will yours... They'll lay when they're good and ready. Lol I swear a couple of mine held back cuz I wanted that first egg so bad. Maybe pretend you hate eggs?

My husband had some of our small eggs for breakfast this morning and one was a double yoke! I wish I had taken a picture but was in a hurry to get to work.  It was so cute!  I still only have one hen laying.  I can't wait for the other seven to start.  Then I have four younger ones to start!

My hubby used a double yolk in hus salmon patties tonight. I got in from work just in time to see it. I personally love cracking open the lil ones. My EEs have been laying every day. Today neither of them layed. Only 2 eggs total today. Slackers.

Can I just say how tickled I am to find others who are so excited to be getting eggs, or who are almost ready to get eggs?? I feel soooo much less weird now!
gig.gif

Can I just say how tickled I am to find others who are so excited to be getting eggs, or who are almost ready to get eggs??  I feel soooo much less weird now!  :gig  

Its nice to find like-minded people. Part of my excitement really is them starting to earn their keep. But those cute lil eggs would be adorable even if we couldn't eat them.

Back
Top Bottom