Separate laying box house?

MtnCrafts

Hatching
Jan 27, 2019
Hi folks, I’m new here! I am currently exploring options of expanding my coop so I can add more to my flock. I’m thinking it would be easier to build a separate area attached to my run that only houses laying boxes. This way I would have more room in my main coop if I removed the laying boxes from there. Has anyone done this? Any photos? Thoughts? Thanks!

Hi folks, I’m new here! I am currently exploring options of expanding my coop so I can add more to my flock. I’m thinking it would be easier to build a separate area attached to my run that only houses laying boxes. This way I would have more room in my main coop if I removed the laying boxes from there. Has anyone done this? Any photos? Thoughts? Thanks!
Can you provide photos of your current set up? You can also maximize space inside your coop by building bump out nest boxes.

You can do that, I have one layer box in the coop in case someone needs to lay before I let them out, before I did that occasionally an egg would be laying on the ground, how embarrassing for the girl.

Mine are raised up 18 inches from the floor, so it doesn't take up any floor space or interfere with anything inside. A separate laying house would probably work, as long as they know where to go and have access to it when they first get up.

inside coop.jpg

Welcome to BYC @MtnCrafts !
Options are numerous....
....but more info, as asked above, would certainly help us help you.

Oh, and....
Where in this world are you located?
Climate is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, (laptop version shown), then it's always there!
upload_2019-1-28_9-26-30.png

Will it be predator proof. My birds mostly lay overnight that wouldn't work for well for us..

My birds like mine attached and I would worry they would lay in the run if nesting boxes were separate house. Mine lay mostly in nest boxes and occasionally I find one in the coop. A bump out or up sounds great as adds to the space. Mine is on one side of coop and flush with house. I have three boxes and they only use one nesting box in the back of the coop. The darkest furthest region. When one lays in the coop, it is the back furthest region.

Back
Top Bottom