Serama HElP!!!!

she is actually molting in the pictures that i took today. most of mine are.
Im thinking of finding a way to raise them indoors, and then move them outside once they are big enough. My dad thinks a large dog pen with a small coop inside would be perfect for them. it doesn't get very cold where i live and snow is extremely rare. we are lucky if we get a dusting. If i clear out my dresser somehow ill have a nice space for them. plus is had a plug in the back for a lamp, Ill take a picture of the area and see what you guys think. NOT the outdoor area, just the indoor one, my parents are not a fan of them in the house tho.
If you don't get snow around where you live I think they would be find in an enclosed dog pen like this with a small coop in it.
31e80a8e0792e9ffc8a47235ae7fc414

How cold does it get? Seramas can't stand even the slightest cold weather.
Not entirely true. Though Seramas are heat hardy and not cold hardy I've had almost a foot of snow here I live (Near buffalo ny) and all my Seramas are fine.. They just tend to stay in their coop which is 16' x 8' instead of going outside but besides that they are some-what hardy.. Just not hardy enough to throw them in a normal coop without proper insulation.

If you don't get snow around where you live I think they would be find in an enclosed dog pen like this with a small coop in it.
31e80a8e0792e9ffc8a47235ae7fc414

Not entirely true. Though Seramas are heat hardy and not cold hardy I've had almost a foot of snow here I live (Near buffalo ny) and all my Seramas are fine.. They just tend to stay in their coop which is 16' x 8' instead of going outside but besides that they are some-what hardy.. Just not hardy enough to throw them in a normal coop without proper insulation.
I meant like, It is harder for them to thrive in cold weather. Someone said that when they set their serama in snow it wouldn't move and was shivering. Not just from being scared.

I meant like, It is harder for them to thrive in cold weather. Someone said that when they set their serama in snow it wouldn't move and was shivering. Not just from being scared.
That makes more sense. My seramas hate the snow and I never see them out. THanks for clearing it up for me :rolleyes:

Larger end of standard will be hardier but these are tiny birds. Cold is rough on them. The breeder I got mine from had her prize cock lose all his comb points last winter. That bird is my bird's dad, and he was covered from actual snow. Even a tiny bit of snow is all the way to their bellies and their wings drag through it. Not fair to them.

It gets at most 28-30 degrees out here. Its the beginning of winter now it is only between 48 and 70 for the last few days. We seem to have strange weather, and only a 10 minute drive away they get snow and freezing temps.

You know what we found yesterday at home depot that looked perfect for seramas?! A small cat condo. My dad was thinking to remove the carpeting (He is a contractor so he's a professional when it comes to these things) Probably sand it down and add a couple hinges during assembly to be able to clean it. Plus there was what looked like s couple openings to what could become nesting boxes. I might not work for an insolated coop but it looks like a good option for their nesting boxes and a place to perch during the summer. This year it got into the hundreds at my house so an isolated coop during the summer would keep them too warm. I have had a hen die of heat stroke while laying eggs...

You know what we found yesterday at home depot that looked perfect for seramas?! A small cat condo. My dad was thinking to remove the carpeting (He is a contractor so he's a professional when it comes to these things) Probably sand it down and add a couple hinges during assembly to be able to clean it. Plus there was what looked like s couple openings to what could become nesting boxes. I might not work for an insolated coop but it looks like a good option for their nesting boxes and a place to perch during the summer. This year it got into the hundreds at my house so an isolated coop during the summer would keep them too warm. I have had a hen die of heat stroke while laying eggs...
Can i see a picture of the cat condo or one that looks like it? If you fear that the coop might be too insulated you could purchase a heated roost which is perfect for seramas and just use it during the winter so whenever they feel cold they can just perch on the roost. Also, I'm curious as to what you'll be doing with your seramas.. Do you plan on showing or breeding them? I just recently joined 4-H as a little extra thing and will be showing my Seramas there and advertise them since I do breed them. Also to be safe instead of a trio i'd get at least 3 hens for your rooster in case one ends up dying and you only have one left for your rooster (To prevent breeding) I find seramas very easy to sex when they reach the age of 2 weeks since serama grow very fast and will show signs of cockerels at that age.

Can i see a picture of the cat condo or one that looks like it? If you fear that the coop might be too insulated you could purchase a heated roost which is perfect for seramas and just use it during the winter so whenever they feel cold they can just perch on the roost. Also, I'm curious as to what you'll be doing with your seramas.. Do you plan on showing or breeding them? I just recently joined 4-H as a little extra thing and will be showing my Seramas there and advertise them since I do breed them. Also to be safe instead of a trio i'd get at least 3 hens for your rooster in case one ends up dying and you only have one left for your rooster (To prevent breeding) I find seramas very easy to sex when they reach the age of 2 weeks since serama grow very fast and will show signs of cockerels at that age.
I am doing both

Seramas "can" be delicate, but don't let them fool you! They are much hardier than they are given credit for. All of my breeds are separated, I have 2 pens of Seramas. The other breeds all sleep inside their coops. The majority of the seramas sleep outside, open air pens. I can put them in by hand, but they come right back out. I've swapped pens, it doesn't matter. They prefer outside, so that's what they get. Other than a tiny frost-bite the boys may get, they are perfectly happy.

Yes, that's snow in the background. They were heading to roost for the night when I took this pic. Tarp hanging for winter, just for wind-break.

WP_20171213_16_44_47_Pro_LI.jpg

Back
Top Bottom