Serama HElP!!!!

I was thinking of something more simple like this
faux-fur-modern-cat-condo-two-story-255x255.jpg

What i would do with this is completely cover the second hole above the bottom one, Add a slanted roof, and make the opening on the bottom slightly smaller. I'd then cut out a small opening on the side and attach a small wooden box used as a nest for your hens. And with this size you could probably put a heating pad for reptiles on the bottom for heat during winters.

NO HEAT LAMP!!!!!A 60 or 75 W Incandescent lamp will be very warm for few chicks and use a thermometer on the floor under the light to BE SURE of correct temperature with ability to raise the lamp a little each week as they feather and grow. AND as others have suggested: Do not try to hatch with a larger brood hen--chicks are very small and will be squashed--likely. When grown, do not coop with large fowl. Read all you can BEFORE you obtain any Bantams. Go to their Breed website. BE Prepared, not sorry afterwards. Best of luck, and take your time for a happy experience.

NO HEAT LAMP!!!!!A 60 or 75 W Incandescent lamp will be very warm for few chicks and use a thermometer on the floor under the light to BE SURE of correct temperature with ability to raise the lamp a little each week as they feather and grow. AND as others have suggested: Do not try to hatch with a larger brood hen--chicks are very small and will be squashed--likely. When grown, do not coop with large fowl. Read all you can BEFORE you obtain any Bantams. Go to their Breed website. BE Prepared, not sorry afterwards. Best of luck, and take your time for a happy experience.
?
not sure if you were talking to me about the heat lamp.. I suggested a heat pad and I'd only use it during the winter... As for the brooding thing I agree.. Even 4 day old serama chicks can easily be squished by larger chickens and after 4 days old of age the chick will most likely Not imprint on the hen..

They are expensive
Larger bantams can do okay. I used to keep silkies and cochins with larger birds, I had a sex link and a few others. They still live with large fowl actually in their new home with my friend.

But serama are the smallest breed on earth. You have bantams, which are small, but they aren't THIS kind of small. There are few other breeds even close to this size. They are truly tiny and require special care.

They are also very charming and wonderful, and totally worth the extra work. They're worth what they cost too- they're expensive for a reason, and it's because they're rare and hard to breed.

For what it's worth I have had my very large bresse hens brood several clutches of serama and never had one squish their chicks. One of my hens is even quite substantially spurred. Seramas are much more hearty chicks than other larger breeds I find if you get good stock. The only thing is never feed medicated feed. Being so small they cannot handle the medicated feed and you will end up with quite a few fatalities.

For what it's worth I have had my very large bresse hens brood several clutches of serama and never had one squish their chicks. One of my hens is even quite substantially spurred. Seramas are much more hearty chicks than other larger breeds I find if you get good stock. The only thing is never feed medicated feed. Being so small they cannot handle the medicated feed and you will end up with quite a few fatalities.[/QUOTE
Thanks for the insite!

Back
Top Bottom