Sexing Easter Eggers

Pics
I am just starting with chickens but I have read that Easter Eggers are notorious for being late bloomers. While the average is around 20 weeks- it appears that many will take well past that before laying.

2 weeks was told it was an Araucana female

These are my Easter Egger chicks, between 3-4 weeks old. Sorry for the poor coloring they are still under the red lamp because its been rainy the last 2 weeks. The lighter one is approximately 3 days younger than the brown one.

The brown one has a bigger comb that is slightly darker, fluffy tail and ginger chest and orange hackle feathers. The brown one is very timid and screams when I pick it up, despite how gentle I am.

The lighter one has nearly no comb yet but a skinnier, pointier tail and no hackle feathers yet. The lighter one seems a little less skiddish.

(brown photos 1-4, light photos 5-9. Both shown together in last photo)

Any ideas on if these are male or female from the looks of them? I got them both from a feed store and was told that they would be 85-95% female.

These are my Easter Egger chicks, between 3-4 weeks old. Sorry for the poor coloring they are still under the red lamp because its been rainy the last 2 weeks. The lighter one is approximately 3 days younger than the brown one.

The brown one has a bigger comb that is slightly darker, fluffy tail and ginger chest and orange hackle feathers. The brown one is very timid and screams when I pick it up, despite how gentle I am.

The lighter one has nearly no comb yet but a skinnier, pointier tail and no hackle feathers yet. The lighter one seems a little less skiddish.

(brown photos 1-4, light photos 5-9. Both shown together in last photo)

Any ideas on if these are male or female from the looks of them? I got them both from a feed store and was told that they would be 85-95% female.

Both are still much to young. The one does have a bit more comb, but at this point it's hard to say if it's just a pullet with a funky comb or a cockerel. Post them again in 2 weeks.

Back
Top Bottom