Share about recent or expected rabbit kindling?

That's a good point, especially if your rabbits kindle outdoors. I bring mine into a temperature-controlled garage bay to kindle so I can keep a close eye on them - this has been particularly important for identifying kits that need to be fostered to another doe (and I try to have two does kindling at the same time so that fostering is an option...it's saved several kits' lives).

At about 5 weeks, the does start going back on pasture during the day...some of them get pretty annoyed with the kits pestering them to nurse all the time, so I consider it a "mental health" break, too.
1f609.png
Mine kindle outside(I'm only breeding during late spring/summer/early fall, because i just got started breeding and dont have any production schedules i have to meet yet). If i were to have them kindle in the winter, they would kindle inside. It can get to -35 F here, so, yeah. I want to foster some kits, but i dont think 2 litters at one time would work right now. The pasturing during the day is a great idea.

I have a trio of Wh. NZ x Am. Chin crosses. They are all a beautiful peppered silver color.Second doe just kindled 3 weeks ago. Crazy colors! The first doe had 2 albinos, 2 "dirty" whites (barely off white fur w/ light grey edging on ears and nose), and one black. The second doe had 2 peppered silver that look just like mom, 2 blacks, and one white. Has been kind of fun. And they have sweet personalities.
I'm using hardware cloth right now since it is so hot still. I wire it to the cage so mom can't move it around.

Have tried to breed my black SF pair, but it seems the boy is more interested in cuddling than breeding :mad:

Wow! It's amazing that you got so many different colors - isn't genetics fun? Would love to see pics.
1f642.png

My Chin doe's first litter was sired by a REW NZ buck, and all kits look just like mom - chinchilla. She had 7 healthy kits but I don't think her milk came in right away and 3 died. The other 4 only survived the first week because they were fostered to another first-time mom who kindled at the same time, a NZ/Silver Fox doe who already had 7 of her own to feed, for a couple of days. That was a new one to me.

I have a proven black SF buck and a new (unproven) lilac SF buck. I found that the black buck just doesn't like one of my REW NZ does...he would not breed her in multiple attempts, but when I put a (also new) black SF doe in with him, it was a completely different story. I was very surprised, since he hasn't been the most enthusiastic breeder - he really liked the SF doe. I guess everyone has their preferences! lol Is your black SF buck better with other does?

Wow! It's amazing that you got so many different colors - isn't genetics fun? Would love to see pics.
1f642.png

My Chin doe's first litter was sired by a REW NZ buck, and all kits look just like mom - chinchilla. She had 7 healthy kits but I don't think her milk came in right away and 3 died. The other 4 only survived the first week because they were fostered to another first-time mom who kindled at the same time, a NZ/Silver Fox doe who already had 7 of her own to feed, for a couple of days. That was a new one to me.

I have a proven black SF buck and a new (unproven) lilac SF buck. I found that the black buck just doesn't like one of my REW NZ does...he would not breed her in multiple attempts, but when I put a (also new) black SF doe in with him, it was a completely different story. I was very surprised, since he hasn't been the most enthusiastic breeder - he really liked the SF doe. I guess everyone has their preferences! lol Is your black SF buck better with other does?

Honestly i haven't tried him with another doe yet. I do have a new chocolate and lilac I could try him with. Maybe he just doesn't like the black one! I mean, he is really cute with her, nuzzles and uses her for a pillow. But NOT what I had in mind! LOL
I'll get some pictures tomorrow of the new kits. They are so cute :)

That is about what my Am. Chin. / NZ crosses look like. The NZ / SF crosses are adorable!
I save the pelts, so with my first X litter that had 4 whites and 1 black I told hubby I can have a white vest with black trim :)

Back
Top Bottom