Share about recent or expected rabbit kindling?

FoodFreedomNow

Free Ranging
7 Years
Aug 11, 2016
Everywhere, all at once
I have two does I'm anticipating will kindle in about a week. One is a first-timer, a Silver Fox doe. The other is a proven doe, a New Zealand. The NZ has large litters (11 and 9); her previous smaller litter was sired by a Silver Fox buck and the larger was by a NZ buck. Since the SF doe was bred by a SF buck, I'm guessing the litter will be on the smaller side...around 7 or so.

Anyone else expecting their does to kindle soon or have does that recently kindled?

Thanks! LOL...every species seems to have its own terminology.

I know there are folks with rabbits on here - just have to find them.
smile.png

Hello! I'm expecting my Red Satin doe to kindle in 2 weeks!! She was bred to a mutt (im raising for meat).
Nice! Is she proven or a first-time mom? Has she started "haystaching"? They're cute when they run around with those big mouthfuls of hay.

I raise meat rabbits, too, and am crossing New Zealand, Silver Fox, and American Chinchilla to optimize growth on pasture.

Nice! Is she proven or a first-time mom? Has she started "haystaching"? They're cute when they run around with those big mouthfuls of hay.

I raise meat rabbits, too, and am crossing New Zealand, Silver Fox, and American Chinchilla to optimize growth on pasture.
She's a first timer... No haystaching yet, but she is scratching around in the corners of her cage! Do you have any nestbox ideas? I'm afraid I have almost 0 building experience
hide.gif
You're doing pastured rabbit? That's what i'm striving for... But i have to get some stuff built first
tongue.png

That's a good sign - like she's trying to dig a burrow. My REW New Zealand doe is doing that, too.

I typically use the large metal nestboxes with the wooden pieces on the bottom that you can buy online. I've also used an all hardware cloth nestbox I made for hot weather - better air flow, but it's light and can be moved around easily by the doe. Last time, I tried these plastic totes that are about the size you'd put shoes in...one doe liked it, but the other didn't. It was also very light. The bonus to plastic is that if the doe pees in it (and they sometimes will), it's easier to clean than wood.

Pasturing rabbits has been great! They're healthy and happy and mow the lawn. lol You're right about the building - I built a lot of tractors, but it was worth it. Let me know if you have any questions.
1f642.png

That's a good sign - like she's trying to dig a burrow. My REW New Zealand doe is doing that, too.

I typically use the large metal nestboxes with the wooden pieces on the bottom that you can buy online. I've also used an all hardware cloth nestbox I made for hot weather - better air flow, but it's light and can be moved around easily by the doe. Last time, I tried these plastic totes that are about the size you'd put shoes in...one doe liked it, but the other didn't. It was also very light. The bonus to plastic is that if the doe pees in it (and they sometimes will), it's easier to clean than wood.

Pasturing rabbits has been great! They're healthy and happy and mow the lawn. lol You're right about the building - I built a lot of tractors, but it was worth it. Let me know if you have any questions.
1f642.png
Be careful with metal nest boxes. In places that it gets super cold, the metal ones have been known to freeze kits. A better material is wood. The rabbits might chew it, but the nest box won't freeze kits.

Be careful with metal nest boxes. In places that it gets super cold, the metal ones have been known to freeze kits. A better material is wood. The rabbits might chew it, but the nest box won't freeze kits.
That's a good point, especially if your rabbits kindle outdoors. I bring mine into a temperature-controlled garage bay to kindle so I can keep a close eye on them - this has been particularly important for identifying kits that need to be fostered to another doe (and I try to have two does kindling at the same time so that fostering is an option...it's saved several kits' lives).

At about 5 weeks, the does start going back on pasture during the day...some of them get pretty annoyed with the kits pestering them to nurse all the time, so I consider it a "mental health" break, too.
1f609.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom