Share about recent or expected rabbit kindling?

People should also know never used treated wood where a rabbit can chew it.
Treated wood is fine. I thought that it would hurt them when I first got into rabbits, but now my rabbits live in hutches made of treated wood, and have for years. It has no affect on the rabbits at all. It is better than untreated wood because it rots much slower, preserving the hutch as long as possible.

These are 3/4 NZ and 1/4 SF - quite a bit of color variation here (doe was black and buck was agouti)

NZ/Am Chin kits

They're looking great!!

Treated wood is fine. I thought that it would hurt them when I first got into rabbits, but now my rabbits live in hutches made of treated wood, and have for years. It has no affect on the rabbits at all. It is better than untreated wood because it rots much slower, preserving the hutch as long as possible.

Yeah I agree on the slower Rot but I was advised not to because of potential arsenic poisoning. I never wanted to chance it. But it's good to know. Thank you

Thanks! There are a couple in that litter that are a "toast" color and very friendly.

Do you tan the pelts? I'd like to try, but the whole battery acid thing put me off a bit.

Yes, I tan them. But ewww?? I haven't heard of using battery acid. I got my initial supplies from Fur Harvesters Trading Post: http://www.fntpost.com/Categories/Fur+Handling/Tanning/Tanning+Kits+Supplies/
Even if you don't order from them, the site gives you an idea of what is out there. All my rabbit pelts are rolled up in the freezer right now. But I have tanned squirrel, racoon and deer. Oh, and one copperhead skin I turned into a hat band. There is a way you can use egg yolks, have not tried it yet. Not adventurous enough yet to try the brain tanning.

Yes, I tan them. But ewww?? I haven't heard of using battery acid. I got my initial supplies from Fur Harvesters Trading Post: http://www.fntpost.com/Categories/Fur+Handling/Tanning/Tanning+Kits+Supplies/
Even if you don't order from them, the site gives you an idea of what is out there. All my rabbit pelts are rolled up in the freezer right now. But I have tanned squirrel, racoon and deer. Oh, and one copperhead skin I turned into a hat band. There is a way you can use egg yolks, have not tried it yet. Not adventurous enough yet to try the brain tanning.
Thanks for the info and link! I had read about brain tanning, too...I think I'll start with a different method. lol Seriously, I want to start tanning because they have such beautiful pelts - doesn't seem right not to use them.

I bet that copperhead hat band is cool! Slightly off-topic, but did you eat it? I've tried rattlesnake...

Thanks for the info and link! I had read about brain tanning, too...I think I'll start with a different method. lol Seriously, I want to start tanning because they have such beautiful pelts - doesn't seem right not to use them.

I bet that copperhead hat band is cool! Slightly off-topic, but did you eat it? I've tried rattlesnake...

I've had rattlesnake too, pretty good, but no, we did not eat this one. Hubby at the time didn't think they were really edible, but we later found out they are. The fuzzy part on the back of the hat is from one of my squirrel tails.

Back
Top Bottom