She said/He said Who's right? Who's wrong? No one!

Its been awhile since I have been on. Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving! The last of our house guests have left so we now have the house back to ourselves. DH wants brownies instead of a birthday cake so I still have that to do. Had to move the babes to a bigger brooder :)

they seem happy to have more room to run, chase & sleep.

So cute! Thanks for the new pic. They all look great!

Hi everyone! Had my last hatch of cemani for the year yesterday. 100% hatch rate :) Unfortunately no keepers, but what can you do? Hopefully I can sell all that are laid for the rest of the year - otherwise I'll be having some expensive breakfasts!

I also got a heat plate brooder for Christmas - my mom asked me what I wanted and bought it for me! She had me open it when it came to make sure it was all correct, and it was. She also bought the cover for me so the chicks can't get on top of it and poop all over it :sick So I'm looking forward to trying that out in the spring! After I opened it, I got to wrap it up and put it under the tree, lol.

Agree with Ravyn, tough on the culls, but nice early Christmas present. My last hatch pooped all over the top of the plate, but it cleaned off easily. I love it.

Last edited:
Hi everyone! Had my last hatch of cemani for the year yesterday. 100% hatch rate :) Unfortunately no keepers, but what can you do? Hopefully I can sell all that are laid for the rest of the year - otherwise I'll be having some expensive breakfasts!

I also got a heat plate brooder for Christmas - my mom asked me what I wanted and bought it for me! She had me open it when it came to make sure it was all correct, and it was. She also bought the cover for me so the chicks can't get on top of it and poop all over it :sick So I'm looking forward to trying that out in the spring! After I opened it, I got to wrap it up and put it under the tree, lol.

Hey! I thought about you today! I have chicks coming in the mail and I kept thinking of your ordeal. They are 6 weeks, so hopefully they will fair a little better. There are tons of places/pages for selling eggs on FB. Every time I see anyone talk about AC's, I think of you! There's so many outlets for eggs now, I hope they are easy to sell. Congrats on the xmass present! I know what I'm getting too!. Better to get something you really want and know, then open up a sweater that's your least favorite color and have to fake liking it! Lol. I have that box for you in the trunk...I promise I'll send it out this week! :hugs

I purchased 3, 6-week old paint silkie chicks today. I've had no luck buying pullets from any of the breeders. Just keep getting told that they'll put me on a list for next year. These are breeder quality and I'm REALLY hoping for girls!! They will be shipped out to me on Tuesday from Michigan. Tues & Wed temps are supposed to be above freezing at night. So,
fl.gif
they arrive safely. This is my first time having live birds shipped!
I don't know much about sop for AM, ok...I know nothing, actually! But he's a very handsome, healthy boy. I really like the sheen in his feathers!
thumbsup.gif

lau.gif

My birthday is right around xmass and I'm getting a new incubator!!!
wee.gif
How am I not going to test it out!!??

hu.gif
plug it in and start typing I'm so bad a 100 times . it won't work but at least you tried some kind of self control.

Last edited:
Took a few pics to share today. The weather has been gorgeous in my neck of the woods.

Here is the bachelor/meaty coop I built last week. The dog pen, poultry wire and the ply wood was found by my hubby at a trash out so were free. Just had to buy the 2x4s and paint.

Some of the babies free ranging.

Braveheart and Loretta.

Babies after their move to the big pen @RavynFallen eggs.

Took a few pics to share today. The weather has been gorgeous in my neck of the woods.

Here is the bachelor/meaty coop I built last week. The dog pen, poultry wire and the ply wood was found by my hubby at a trash out so were free. Just had to buy the 2x4s and paint.

Braveheart and Loretta.

Awesome scores on the freebie stuff!! And kiddos are looking good... wish your good weather would come this way... raining since yesterday and supposed to continue a couple more days... :/

Braveheart and Loretta.

Looks great!!

Does anyone know how my pet chicken can sell silkie chicks as a certain sex? Do they DNA test or vent sex? Someone on another thread said they got female silkie chicks but I wasn't sure how they know the sex so young.

Does anyone know how my pet chicken can sell silkie chicks as a certain sex? Do they DNA test or vent sex? Someone on another thread said they got female silkie chicks but I wasn't sure how they know the sex so young.

Vent sexing... and MPC is a drop shipper/broker... I think most or all fheir chicks are supplied by Myers, but I could be wrong... might be Murray McMurry (sp?)...

They vent sex, but with silkies being small it's hard to do accurately and I've heard they mess up on them more often than with standard breeds.

Vent sexing... and MPC is a drop shipper/broker... I think most or all fheir chicks are supplied by Myers, but I could be wrong... might be Murray McMurry (sp?)...

Nope, you're right, it's Meyer that they ship from :)

Last edited:
They vent sex, but with silkies being small it's hard to do accurately and I've heard they mess up on them more often than with standard breeds.
Nope, you're right, it's Meyer that they ship from :)

Yep, the smaller they are, the harder to tell for sure... smaller size is more easily injured so they don't "try" as hard... dunno how else to put it, lol... and that's why I won't try to vent sex my Calls...

Meyer, forgot spelling, lol... I wasn't sure if that had changed... I know they're promo'ing their new hatching egg suppliers...

Back
Top Bottom