Shipping and Receiving Pea eggs contest!

Ok - I can finally update. I've had less than stellar hatches with tons of leg problems with peachicks and unfortunately this hatch was no different. 14 eggs went in the hatcher and 8 hatched. Out of the 8, 2 are going to have to be put down... one can lift its head at all and looks swollen in the neck area and the other has major leg issues. So that leaves me 6. Of those 6 at least 2 have leg problems that i'm hoping I can fix.

I just hatched a set of regular (chicken) chicks under the same incubator conditions (the eggs were from my farm) and had NO leg issues at all. I believe it's from the shipping.

Georgialee,,,sorry to see your results,,all the eggs I bought and hatched,some did have leg and toe issues,but none had swollen necks,,or so weak they couldn't hold their heads up, It's a wonder they had the strength to get out of the shell..if they now are this weak.I take it 6 of your eggs was quitters? At least 14 showed development so these was fertile,,the 5 you didn't put in the bator was because of dislodged airsacks??

I just candled really quick tonight -I can't help myself - and I've got babies growing!
I don't have exact numbers because we're just getting into day 7 here so it's still pretty early and pretty hard to see those veins, but! It looks like most of the BSSP are doing well! It also looks like both Opals are growing, which is great! Unfortunately I couldn't see anything in either of the two Midnights, or the Purple, but I will candle again in a few days, and hopefully get exact numbers. Tonight I just wanted to get in and get out quick while I refilled the water trough.
:) I'm a happy mama tonight!

Georgialee,,,sorry to see your results,,all the eggs I bought and hatched,some did have leg and toe issues,but none had swollen necks,,or so weak they couldn't hold their heads up, It's a wonder they had the strength to get out of the shell..if they now are this weak.I take it 6 of your eggs was quitters? At least 14 showed development so these was fertile,,the 5 you didn't put in the bator was because of dislodged airsacks??
The ones that didn't make it to the hatcher either didnt develop at all or were very early quitters. I had 6 that didnt hatch - i opened 3 and they were fully formed. 1 of those 3 had severely twisted legs. Not sure why the others didnt hatch. They hadnt pipped internally.

I just candled really quick tonight -I can't help myself - and I've got babies growing!
I don't have exact numbers because we're just getting into day 7 here so it's still pretty early and pretty hard to see those veins, but! It looks like most of the BSSP are doing well! It also looks like both Opals are growing, which is great! Unfortunately I couldn't see anything in either of the two Midnights, or the Purple, but I will candle again in a few days, and hopefully get exact numbers. Tonight I just wanted to get in and get out quick while I refilled the water trough.
smile.png
I'm a happy mama tonight!
Hows Wild Thangs eggs looking? Being a Happy Momma is good,,perhaps a "nip" is in order?

I dont think any of my eggs are fertile :( They are all just black :(... Kedreeva got any idea when those eggs are getting shipped?
Poultryfan,,if the eggs are dark and lite can't be seen thru to the other side,,something has started to grow inside them,also notice the air sack area should be getting larger,,eggs that stays clear and can easily be seen thru are either not fertile,or a damaged airscak has caused them not to develope.Hold your LED flashlite at the large end of the egg with it pointing towards the pointy end,,if you notice darkness beginning about 1/3 of the way into the egg they are developing,,if they are clear from one side to the other,,,no chick has started.

Back
Top Bottom