shipping hatching eggs???

Quote:
This web site is for Minnisota not every state. It looks to me that if you are exporting FROM MN to another state. This may not apply to every state. Not all state laws are the same.

Please just leave it alone.

Rancher

That is just the overall list of rules for sending to each state. If you want the specifics, then you have to call the individual BAH for each one. I can also give you the page for the specific IMPORT rules for MN. http://www.bah.state.mn.us/bah/rules/import-regulations.html

Is this website kept current? The other poster who received a warning from WA state, those eggs sent to her were NPIP and according to here http://www.bah.state.mn.us/animals/poultry/exports.html to import Poultry, hatching eggs and some game birds to WA all you need is a NPIP or negative P/T within 30 days of shipment.

Last edited:
Quote:
MomMommyMamma is exactly right - Washington is a big poultry state and has had some problems already, so they are taking a hard line on what comes in and goes out. There will be many more states tightening up their enforcement.

I'll be doggone if I'm going to ignore this and hope it goes away. I'm going to make sure I follow the rules so that I don't get in trouble, and I don't get anyone else in trouble.

Quote:
what you just described happen constantly here without checkpoints/ ( chicken cops )
smile.png
on the state lines it seems impossible to enforce
smile.png

Well according to the TSA web page there is no problem bringing eggs on the plane. Seems to me they would know but you may be right. I'm not going to get involved in that and I hope no one here does either. Seems to me there is always some twit who messes it up for everyone else.

The eggs I shipped and got all had hatching eggs written right on the box. Please leave well enough alone.

Rancher

Sorry for playing the role of the 'twit' as you call it. I also got the same flack last fall when I had to ask for paperwork at our poultry show too. The old-timers who didn't want to cooperate with the state's requirements threw a hissy fit and blamed me for making up the rules. I let them talk to the BAH coordinators themselves and pretty soon they showed up with all paperwork. Pretty simple.... the BAH has made it pretty clear..... if we want to have our shows and swaps, we have to follow their rules. If we want to ship birds/eggs across state lines, they are having a hard time patrolling it but they want the rules followed or pretty soon we won't be able to do that either. USPS, TSA, etc are not involved for the most part. It would be like asking a McDonalds employee to come clean your windschield off before you go through the drivethrough... That's not their job.... If you have a crash in their lot that impedes traffic flow, they will deal with it though. The BAH can check paperwork.... They can also put up blocks that stop shipments too.

Here is a post by pips&peeps from the other thread. Pips&peeps looks like the go-to person in WA for information on what you need to do to make sure not to get in trouble up here. The link provided is the latest regs from WA state. And you have to test for both PT and AI now for WA:

Here is the page that has the WA State importation requirements.

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/wac/default.aspx?cite=16-54-145

It is the buyers responsibility as well as the sellers in all cases. You must know what the laws are to export and to import. The State knows the birds came into WA because the sellers filled out their NPIP documentation and the origination and destination States both get a copy. The seller will also be getting a note from the State about this, trust me it has happened to me from VA.

Many States require import permits and you have to call ahead of time to ship birds in to get a number. This is why I have started a book so I can look up the import requirements for each State. It is a PIA!! But it is the legal way.

They could actually come and quaratine and make you pay to test your birds or cull your flock if they wanted to be buttheads.......

I know I may be sounding a little childish in saying this, but man some things just suck the fun right out of having a small flock.
tongue.gif

And I think if regs are truly tightened, there will be few who can afford to sell or buy eggs with the added costs.
When we popped up MS+ it shocked me since we had no sick birds and had bought only from NPIP sellers, but one of the very first things I thought about was the sheer number of eggs being bought & sold online by individuals. One breeder, who has no idea their flock are carriers could easily send infected eggs all over the country and neither buyer, nor seller, nor government official would be the wiser.

Quote:
That is just the overall list of rules for sending to each state. If you want the specifics, then you have to call the individual BAH for each one. I can also give you the page for the specific IMPORT rules for MN. http://www.bah.state.mn.us/bah/rules/import-regulations.html

Is this website kept current? The other poster who received a warning from WA state, those eggs sent to her were NPIP and according to here http://www.bah.state.mn.us/animals/poultry/exports.html to import Poultry, hatching eggs and some game birds to WA all you need is a NPIP or negative P/T within 30 days of shipment.

MN has gone through some major changes just since last fall. There was an outbreak of Newcastle over by Appleton (southwestern MN) and then the huge Salmonella egg recall in IA last summer. Those 2 events prompted them to really get on the ball. After that all of a sudden waterfowl was required to be PT tested to cross state lines. All of a sudden, the PT test was only good for 30 days on out of state birds. It used to be good for the entire year.... They had never enforced the CVI or import permit before. Huge stink at the fall shows last year because of the additional paperwork..... I was in contact with APA directors and all the top people in the ABA too. I talked to people like Matt Llamon, Jeff Halbach, Eric Kutch etc and they are aware of the situation. The BAH might only have the big producers in mind, but it is definitely impacting the show crowd and hobbyists.

Back
Top Bottom