Votes: 1 5.3%
  • Bull dogs

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Pit bulls

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • Other

Votes: 12 63.2%

• Total voters
Not really, I know one other person in the Newf world with beagles but I'm sure there are many less active that I don't know. Most Newf people have Porties or Norwich as their second breed. I don't know Tanya or Falcon but it sounds like she has great taste in dogs!;)

LOL- yes she does. She got him through someone who has Newfs and Beagles that shows in conformation, agility and I think rally too.

I have 2questions:
1how much does the shows usually cost?
2how many points are to a champion? 5or15?

Average fee on the west coast is usually $30 per dog per entry per show. Add the superintendent's fees if you enter online (or you can mail them in to save a few $). Some shows are more. It really adds up if you do conformation and obedience both, even more if you add in rally. Agility-well very few people only enter one agility class at a show.

It takes 15 points total, maximum at any one show is 5 points. Very few shows are 5 point majors.

You need at least two major wins- shows that are worth 3, 4 or 5 points. The number of points your dog earns depends on how many dogs it defeats that day, but you can win Best of Breed plus a Group placement and still not get any points!

Minimum of 3 different judges have awarded your dog points. Unless in Alaska, Hawaii or Puerto Rico.

Average fee on the west coast is usually $30 per dog per entry per show. Add the superintendent's fees if you enter online (or you can mail them in to save a few $). Some shows are more. It really adds up if you do conformation and obedience both, even more if you add in rally. Agility-well very few people only enter one agility class at a show.

It takes 15 points total, maximum at any one show is 5 points. Very few shows are 5 point majors.

You need at least two major wins- shows that are worth 3, 4 or 5 points. The number of points your dog earns depends on how many dogs it defeats that day, but you can win Best of Breed plus a Group placement and still not get any points!

Minimum of 3 different judges have awarded your dog points. Unless in Alaska, Hawaii or Puerto Rico.
OK, THANKS. i found a handling class and a club close by. so im going to see about doing the class with my husky for now and joining the club so i can get info about shows and all that.

Yeah, I was doing the math, ouch. I am still hoping to have Phantom in conformation, but I think we might be too late. He is 8 months old and very fidgety. He does not like to stack and refuses to stay stacked. He has a beautiful trot and he does focus on me really well. Any advice on how to get him to stack?

On the other hand he is doing really well in obedience and agility. He has progressed to some off leash work. If he continues to improve I would definately like to compete in agility and obedience with him.

Last edited:
Yeah, I was doing the math, ouch. I am still hoping to have Phantom in conformation, but I think we might be too late. He is 8 months old and very fidgety. He does not like to stack and refuses to stay stacked. He has a beautiful trot and he does focus on me really well. Any advice on how to get him to stack?

On the other hand he is doing really well in obedience and agility. He has progressed to some off leash work. If he continues to improve I would definately like to compete in agility and obedience with him.

Well- do you really expect a gangly 8 month old male Husky to stand still? ROFL ;)

Try Sue Ailsby's protocol.
Stacking http://sue-eh.ca/page24/page40/
Gaiting http://sue-eh.ca/page24/page30/

Oh, just read her whole web site.

So funny, I was going to recommend Sue's site as well. She has some terrific methods. I have a friend that has shown Siberians in conformation for many years. It definitely takes a sense of humor and patience to be successful with them and not get too frustrated. It's definitely not too late but do find an instructor that will work with you, not just blame everything on him being an Arctic breed. That's a cop out, IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well- do you really expect a gangly 8 month old male Husky to stand still? ROFL ;)

Try Sue Ailsby's protocol.
Stacking http://sue-eh.ca/page24/page40/
Gaiting http://sue-eh.ca/page24/page30/

Oh, just read her whole web site.

Amazingly enough, he does "stay". I use his stay in agility to get a lead out, and of coarse we use it in obedience. So far he has only managed to stay for 1 minute, and if I take my eyes off of him he moves. But, for a very energetic puppy, I am pleased he stays at all. The fact that he will stay off leash and let me get 3-4 feet away is excellent for his age and breed.

He doesn't look gangly, not like Dawn did at that age, or how 10 month old Cheyenne looks now. Maybe he hasn't hit that stage yet, lol.

Thanks for the links!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom