Votes: 1 5.3%
  • Bull dogs

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Pit bulls

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • Other

Votes: 12 63.2%

• Total voters
hmm quick math just of entry fees. We don't do a lot of shows and, with our Rally titles, we've been lucky and qualified every run except 1.

up to RE - $230

BN titls and CD attempts - $115

conformation - $92

UKC another approx $200

of course that doesn't include club memberships, gas, hotel fees, training, seminars, and all of the other incidentals like books and DVDs

hmm quick math just of entry fees. We don't do a lot of shows and, with our Rally titles, we've been lucky and qualified every run except 1.

up to RE - $230

BN titls and CD attempts - $115

conformation - $92

UKC another approx $200

of course that doesn't include club memberships, gas, hotel fees, training, seminars, and all of the other incidentals like books and DVDs
wowwww!

lol believe me, I don't spend 1/10 as much on shows as most people I know. I might do 3-4 weekends a year. I know plenty of people who spend almost every weekend at shows.

I have a facebook friend who is specialing a dog right now. She has a handler and looks to spend about $8000 this year - she's hoping he finishes quickly lol

UKC is awesome because many shows have pre-entry discounts. When we went to Gateway at Purina Farms last year, it only cost me $99 for 3 days of events.

I have friends specialing dogs that spend $25K a year. I owner handle so that saves a lot! Entry fees, gas and hotels are the big expenses. I only do AKC conformation and obedience, other venues in agility. My breed specific sports are a whole 'nother batch of $$$... Still, if the dogs and I didn't enjoy it I wouldn't do it. They are my pets first and foremost.

I actually found it could be much cheaper to hire a handler than all the expenses involved with traveling to a dog show. As far as specialing a dog $25,000 a year is not bad, I have seen folks who spend $100,000 a year by the time you figure handlers fees, entries, grooming, and advertising.

Last edited:
I actually found it could be much cheaper to hire a handler than all the expenses involved with traveling to a dog show.  As far as specialing a dog $25,000 a year is not bad, I have seen folks who spend $100,000 a year by the time you figure handlers fees, entries, grooming, and advertising.

The wife of the handler for Knotty the Bloodhound finished one of my dogs. I don't know how much was spent on Knotty the year he won AKC/Eukanuba but they did a fair amount of traveling, more than I'd ever want to do.

depending on what part of Kansas there are a LOT of shows :)

And don't overlook surrounding states if you are close to the border. The mid-west is packed with dog shows if you know where to look.

Back
Top Bottom