Show Me Your Feeders!!

Made with a 10ft piece of pvc cut into three equal pieces, three y pieces, and a cap on the bottom.

Ok, I am curious....you say this keeps out the rodents...can they not climb into these holes of the pipe? Do you put a cap on them at night?

I would like to share my feeder with everyone at BYC. It has served me well. I have been using this design of mine for a feeder for a long time. It eliminates food waste and contamination and is easy to fill and maintain. It's attached outside of my chicken tractor. I made the box with a few plywood scraps I had around. The whole thing went together pretty quick with a pneumatic stapler.

Above is my feeder just before I attached it to my coop. You can see the sloped plywood that forms a hopper. I can fill the box with a 50# bag of feed and there is no waste. Inside the coop there is a horizontal slot about three inches by 20 inches that the birds can poke their heads in to eat. They can't enter the feeder or contaminate the food in any way. I designed the angle of the hopper and the width of the slot by trial and error. This one is new but I started using this design since the mid 70s.

Above photo,

I filled the box to the rim about two weeks ago for five growing pullets. They get all the kitchen scraps and garden waste so they don't go through the feed as much. The lid fits tight and stays in place with a cleat under the lid. It has a slight slope so it stays dry inside. I will put a scrap of tar paper on the lid before the rainy season comes.

You can see the slot on the inside where the birds poke their heads. They have to reach far enough in so that when the food comes down it doesn't spill outside. The bottom edge of the hopper is about three inches off the bottom. As the food is eaten it forms a pile that spreads about six inches wide. A grown chicken can reach far enough in to reach the middle of the pile. If it ever gets empty, almost all the food is gone except for a little that can't be reached in the way back.

I made a little platform so the height would be just right for a grown hen. I put an angled scrap of plywood over the 2x4 tractor handle to prevent perching over the feeder. I made sure the feeder was far enough away from the roost to keep it clean.

The above photo shows the coop under construction with the slot cut in the side. The box dimensions are 24"W, 18" H, 13" deep.

@Birdy Buddy
Your feeder is very close to the way I made mine too.
Mine looks a little different on the inside, I have two sloped panels that funnel the feed to the same place.
I would post a image but the feeder was just filled today, can't really see anything.
I agree with you though, the feed is never dirty, never gets wasted and is always bone dry.

This is my feeder

for more details se the free sketchup model

https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/mo...8-9c6fe4650df0/Double-Sided-Poultry-Feeder-V3

Big Feeder-01.jpg
Big Feeder-02.jpg
Big Feeder-03.jpg

Back
Top Bottom