Show Me Your Feeders!!

My pictures would be very boring, yet very varied: of the ground here and there within their run. I stopped using feeders as they (which I also had to buy) just sent me back to the store, like a viciou$ cycle, cuz my chickens would just eat me outa house and home. I wouldn't let that happen, so my feeders just sit there in storage. Now I'm the feeder and throw them at least somewhat measured servings of feed or fermented seeds or compost a few times a day. Now I'm saving money, the chickens haven't dropped dead nor has egg production suffered. I throw the food here and there in run quickly so they cant follow every throw, making them run for the food as well as hunt for it sometimes. They dont have to work for their food from feeders and that is just unnatural. So is the keeping of chickens unnatural, but every aspect of it doesn't have to be and that's for the better, for their betterment. Still my friend suggests I'm over feeding them. Maybe so, even still.

If you have the room I would use one of these. I made two of these and they are currently feeding 20 birds no problem. Once filled they will hold 60 - 75 pounds of feed. I only fill mine maybe once a month. If you have 8 birds this would feed 6 at a time and last a long time.

I love this idea. I am going to do similar. Great idea.

I just got my 14 Indian runners(7 weeks of age) a grown-up water container 5 gallons and two metal feeders. They have them oval holes on the top. They are scared of all there new things. What should I do?

Take away all their other sources of food and water and don't give them a choice except for the new stuff. They will get hungry and thirsty real soon then they will begin using the new stuff with the food and water that you have provided for them.

If you leave the old stuff in their pen they will continue to hunt for food and water where they are familiar getting it. So that means you must abide by rule #1 when raising chickens, remove all other sources of food and water when introducing new methods of delivering such supplies!

Take away all their other sources of food and water and don't give them a choice except for the new stuff.  They will get hungry and thirsty real soon then they will begin using the new stuff with the food and water that you have provided for them. 

If you leave the old stuff in their pen they will continue to hunt for food and water where they are familiar getting it.  So that means you must abide by rule #1 when raising chickens, remove all other sources of food and water when introducing new methods of delivering such supplies!
oh ok. Thank you for the help.

Simple feeders made with cut and glued 3in PVC pipe and connector pieces. Originally I had one opening as seen below but decided to make another double headed unit so more ladies could eat at one time. They seem to enjoy it without spilling too much out which was also a problem with the first one until I added a small piece of wood to cut down on the diameter of the opening (also seen on close up in this photo)

Back
Top Bottom