Show Me Your Pallet Projects!

@gtaus So far, four eggs have been laid in the new nest box. One of the girls must not have felt comfortable with the new nest setup and laid an egg on the coop floor... which never happens.

The other hens seem to be accepting the larger egg drop off location. (Three of the eggs in the box are ceramic.)

IMG_3507.JPG IMG_3508.JPG IMG_3509.JPG IMG_3515.JPG IMG_3520.JPG IMG_3524.JPG IMG_3527.JPG

The chicken in the last picture laid her egg in the box, so 5 were laid today in the new nest and one in the coop.

Last edited:
..The chicken in the last picture laid her egg in the box, so 5 were laid today in the new nest and one in the coop.

:love Thanks for the pics. Looks like your new salvaged wood communal nest box is working out well for the girls.

Are you standing by the box 24/7 to get such good photos? I had a problem with an egg eater last year and I was looking into some kind of surveillance system to catch the egg eater in action. The egg eating problem went away, but I still think it would be neat to have a camera setup in the coop to watch those nest boxes.

:love Thanks for the pics. Looks like your new salvaged wood communal nest box is working out well for the girls.

Are you standing by the box 24/7 to get such good photos? I had a problem with an egg eater last year and I was looking into some kind of surveillance system to catch the egg eater in action. The egg eating problem went away, but I still think it would be neat to have a camera setup in the coop to watch those nest boxes.
Yeah, I was just standing in the run with my camera watching and waiting. They don't mind my voyeurism. LOL

And no, not 24/7. Usually the girls all lay their eggs between 7am and 10am, so if I go out there during that time there's usually a chicken on the nest.

⚠️ Garden Wagon Flat-Free Wheel Upgrades

I have mentioned before that I have three 4-wheeled carts that I use all the time. I love them.

1711305781415.jpeg

Google pic of my type of wagon as in the photo above...

1711305850777.png

The only problem I have had is that the pneumatic tires will go flat, eventually, as the tires wear out. I have tried putting in new inner tubes but found that only lasts maybe another year of two before the inner tubes need to be replaced.

:tongue Well, shucks. It costs about $10 per inner tube per wheel if I do all the work myself to replace them. Our local shop charges about $20 labor fee, per tire, on top of the cost of the inner tube, to put it into the tire.

Well, this year I discovered that two of my four tires on that wagon were flat after our winter cold. I pumped them up with air, but they were flat again in a couple of hours.

I am done with the yearly, or every other year, inner tube replacments. This year I got 4 new flat-free tires at Harbor Freight on sale for about $16.00 each (regular price $22.00 each). They just had the best price at the time I needed them. But Home Depot, Menards, etc... sell flat-free tires as well.

1711306108050.png

In theory, I should never have to replace those flat-free tires in my lifetime. Additionally, all you have to do with these new flat-free tires is pull out the cotter pin on the axel, remove the old pneumatic tire, and pop the flat free tire back on. Hardly any work at all.

As my pneumatic tires have been going flat on my various wagons, I have just replaced them with these flat-free tires to be done with it. That is what I have been doing for the past 2-3 years. No regrets. Saves me money in a couple years of use and forever after that as they don't need to be repaired or replaced anymore.

Just thought I would mention the flat-free tires because I have that wagon in my garage right now filled with pallet wood, and I will be swapping out the pneumatic tires (2 are flat) later today or tomorrow. The flat-free tires will save you money (and future aggravation) as soon as you put them on.

⚠️ Garden Wagon Flat-Free Wheel Upgrades

I have mentioned before that I have three 4-wheeled carts that I use all the time. I love them.

View attachment 3780713

Google pic of my type of wagon as in the photo above...

View attachment 3780714

The only problem I have had is that the pneumatic tires will go flat, eventually, as the tires wear out. I have tried putting in new inner tubes but found that only lasts maybe another year of two before the inner tubes need to be replaced.

:tongue Well, shucks. It costs about $10 per inner tube per wheel if I do all the work myself to replace them. Our local shop charges about $20 labor fee, per tire, on top of the cost of the inner tube, to put it into the tire.

Well, this year I discovered that two of my four tires on that wagon were flat after our winter cold. I pumped them up with air, but they were flat again in a couple of hours.

I am done with the yearly, or every other year, inner tube replacments. This year I got 4 new flat-free tires at Harbor Freight on sale for about $16.00 each (regular price $22.00 each). They just had the best price at the time I needed them. But Home Depot, Menards, etc... sell flat-free tires as well.

View attachment 3780716

In theory, I should never have to replace those flat-free tires in my lifetime. Additionally, all you have to do with these new flat-free tires is pull out the cotter pin on the axel, remove the old pneumatic tire, and pop the flat free tire back on. Hardly any work at all.

As my pneumatic tires have been going flat on my various wagons, I have just replaced them with these flat-free tires to be done with it. That is what I have been doing for the past 2-3 years. No regrets. Saves me money in a couple years of use and forever after that as they don't need to be repaired or replaced anymore.

Just thought I would mention the flat-free tires because I have that wagon in my garage right now filled with pallet wood, and I will be swapping out the pneumatic tires (2 are flat) later today or tomorrow. The flat-free tires will save you money (and future aggravation) as soon as you put them on.
Flat free tires are a great upgrade! I was wondering if using a can of Fix-a-Flat would give you the same results for less cost?

I don't know if you remember, but a couple years ago I picked up a well used but nice cement mixing wheelbarrow for $10 off of OfferUp.

I'm not sure what the deal is with it's tire, but it's hard as a rock. Maybe it has a flat free tire on it, since it's made to carry loads of sloppy concrete around. Getting a flat while pushing wet concrete to its destination could be disasterous.

Another use for pieces that are about 1/2x1 (ish) and several inches long is as a marking stake in the garden. Cut an end on an angle to make it easy to push into the ground.

That is a good idea. However, I salvaged an old mini-blind and cut the slats up into garden sized markers...

1711324093176.png

I have enough of those plastic markers to last my lifetime.

But considering your idea of using wood garden markers, that reminds me that I always pick up a few free paint sticks when I go to Home Depot. You could easily cut them up into 2 or 3 garden markers. If you get a few of the 5-gallon stir sticks, you probably get 3 or 4 markers per stick. Hey - they are free!

Flat free tires are a great upgrade! I was wondering if using a can of Fix-a-Flat would give you the same results for less cost?

I know the guys in the tire shop hate that Fix-a-Flat stuff in tires. If they work on tire with that gunk in the tire, they charge you extra for the time and effort it takes to clean out the tire when they fix it.

I think Fix-a-Flat is mainly used to get your car into a shop. It's a temporary fix, at best.

:lau I saw a guy on YouTube who tried filling a tire with expanding foam. It felt hard to the touch when dry, but the foam could not handle the load weight, cracked up, fell apart, and the tire went flat in no time.

'm not sure what the deal is with it's tire, but it's hard as a rock. Maybe it has a flat free tire on it,

Well, a pneumatic tire will have an air nozzle to fill the tire with air...

1711324654400.png

The flat-free tires don't have that nozzle because you can't put any air into the filled tire.

Picture of flat-free tire without that air nozzle...

1711324883849.png

I use my Gorilla carts with the bins all the time for most of my stuff. I love the watertight bin. Great for moving my topsoil and compost. However, for loading up pallet wood, I actually prefer the wire mesh cart. That way, if it rains, the wagon bin does not fill up with water soaking the boards in the cart. The boards will naturally dry out faster in the wire mesh wagon.

Both types of carts have an advantage. Both types of carts work better, IMHO, with the flat-free tires.

Back
Top Bottom