Show Off Your American Gamefowl and Chat Thread!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you were to add a game hen to an existing flock of laying hens she would instantly become top dog. If the red didn't back down they would get beat. I've done it and she ran the others right out of the coop for good.
This comes into the next question I was going to ask....I agree that layers are not at all like games, but could one or two game hens live harmoniously with a flock of layers or that is just a disaster waiting to happen?

I would love at some point in the future to have a couple of hens. I do have a separate area I could possibly house one or two, but would like to have everyone together.

If u got game game hens sooner or later something will happen. And don't think two can be just put together they'll kill like cocks

Last edited:
O.K. can I ask a question. This is about game hens.
Normally you need to house them separately, because they don't necessarily get along(?) but if you do have a few housed together, do they have an established pecking order like you see with layers or is it more like each one is "equal"?
Mine all establish pecking order like normal or sometimes circular (A tops B, B tops C, but C tops A) so that no one is top except rooster.

Introductions are the hardest, but once they are together they can get along no problem. Too small of space is the worst. I do 3 hens and a cock in my 7'x10' aviary. Any more they get to anxious and pecking at eachother and eating eggs.

Many hens can get along fine in free range space. They dominate my RIR hens but never killed or chased them too much.
20170225_1525191.jpg

I have 3 mama hens running loose right now and havent lost a chick to battles yet. I did have hen beat and steal chicks from another mama.

Maybe i dont have the best of games id bet money on it but mine get along aswell but the roo is in place at all times so thats a big help, he doesnt let them get to froggy offten.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom