Show Off Your American Gamefowl and Chat Thread!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
For what it's worth, I have tried feather sexing on pure OEGBs and Australorps. There was zero correlation as far as I could see.

Just a bit ago I looked out to barn and saw a hawk flapping upside over pen. Called kids up and we went to see what deal was. Coopers Hawk (adult male) got his middle toe tangled up in deer netting used to keep Great-horned Owl from walking over top of pens. Hawk was tangled pretty good taking better than 10 minutes to fully untangle. My boy had to hang on to hawk while I ran to get scissors. Hawk bit me several times and screamed a bit but could not break skin. Red-tailed Hawks tougher on that account and Great-horned Owl way tougher. This guy was not too hard to undue relative to GHO tangled in poultry netting. GHO can break your skin. Kids got a kick out of it. Hawk lucky this happened on a Sunday otherwise would have been upside down and vulnerable for much longer. It is amazing how a dainty little bird can kill an adult chicken,
7 COOPERS HAWK.jpg
8 COOPERS HAWK TRUEMAN.jpg
9 COOPERS HAWK FOOT DAMAGES MIDDLE TOE.jpg
10 COOPERS HAWK PRIOR TO RELEASE.jpg
11 COOPERS HAWK PRIOR TO RELEASE.jpg
but games near by would have challenged that. The hawk comes into barn almost every day to go after songbirds which is something I like.

Just a bit ago I looked out to barn and saw a hawk flapping upside over pen. Called kids up and we went to see what deal was. Coopers Hawk (adult male) got his middle toe tangled up in deer netting used to keep Great-horned Owl from walking over top of pens. Hawk was tangled pretty good taking better than 10 minutes to fully untangle. My boy had to hang on to hawk while I ran to get scissors. Hawk bit me several times and screamed a bit but could not break skin. Red-tailed Hawks tougher on that account and Great-horned Owl way tougher. This guy was not too hard to undue relative to GHO tangled in poultry netting. GHO can break your skin. Kids got a kick out of it. Hawk lucky this happened on a Sunday otherwise would have been upside down and vulnerable for much longer. It is amazing how a dainty little bird can kill an adult chicken,View attachment 1283672 View attachment 1283674 View attachment 1283675 View attachment 1283682 View attachment 1283696 but games near by would have challenged that. The hawk comes into barn almost every day to go after songbirds which is something I like.
Tiny little bugger. They always seem so much larger when they're threatening your birds.

Gonna have to get this gate up had to go confront a few folks guess they thought this was a good place to come up here a do meth or something shady.

Guess they wasn't expecting someone to come out of the woods with a boom pistol and a black dog.

I was under the impression it was only for chicks with one parent of a fast feathering breed and the other of a slow feathering---I forget which side each had to be on.
You can do this with non-production type lines, but for commercial production, lines are established with slow and fast feathering for the terminal/final production cross. Leghorn males are not much use in a layer house.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom