Show Off Your American Gamefowl and Chat Thread!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The approach I am shifting to is intended to help manage vegetation so it is tougher with distinct patches of cover and sound locations to place pens regardless of season. The appears to be a few seeps coming up right in the middle of where pens have been kept since about 2014 which makes for extreme wet even on a 7% grade. I am going to get some sheep that will be rotated on and off poultry area to replace much of mowing currently done. Several areas within poultry area will be managed for brambles and will need to be protected from sheep.
from what I understand sheep graze grasses mostly.. but goats are the ones who eat all the weeds, bushes and "brambles".

Are you going to lower their perches when place on the gravel?

Perches will be kept up. Two cocks were kept like that over winter without trouble. I have yet to see health issues related to perch height with even American Dominiques. A few years back I had about 30 birds roosting nearly 30 feet up in an oak that flew down in morning to land on gravel in drive with no ill effects. I think something else at play when people observing foot / leg issues in chickens. Stag I got from someone else makes me think handling methods.

Sheep will be Katadins which reputed to be good broad leaf consumers, but easier to confine than goats. My place of work has at least a hundred of each on two separate farms, where where my fish lab is located.

from what I understand sheep graze grasses mostly.. but goats are the ones who eat all the weeds, bushes and "brambles".

Are you going to lower their perches when place on the gravel?

Shubin Is Correct about sheep and goats! Would gravel be rough on the feet? I would think so.

20180317_083655.jpg

Boy dog ran 3 up the tree

They left on their own sometime in night... but were up there for more than 24 hours.

I had one that almost wiped me out of my Clarets, and killed my only pair of Roundheads, one pullet left on yard. I now have a Simbeck RH cock and another Lacy pullet

I had one that almost wiped me out of my Clarets, and killed my only pair of Roundheads, one pullet left on yard. I now have a Simbeck RH cock and another Lacy pullet
Ya I know they are trouble.. I had a few attempts at my chickens but the dog ran them off I guess. Saw some feathers pulled through the fence and some blood on hen wing fingers...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom