Show Off Your American Gamefowl and Chat Thread!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
We keep chicks inside very briefly and then they go out to the big brooders so the dust isnt really an issue. Chicks are gonna make dust regardless of what bedding you use really. Their down feathers create the majority of the dust as they molt. We raise lots of chicks each year and have always raised very healthy fowl. Most battle crossed pullets are culled as soon as we can sex them to cut down on the unnecessary extra to brood. Once the chicks are moved to grow out pens they get straw. Once they are feathered we free range them until the stags start cocking up, then they go in stag pens with straw until their spurs set, and then they go on tie cords/barrels. Sorry Im rambling. Lol

What the heck is wrong with shavings? Lol We have been using pine shavings in our brooders for years. Cedar shavings/bedding is a no no, but pine is fine for chicks. From the looks of the shavings in roosterhavoc's newborn brooder those are pine. Perfectly safe.
The point was when the weather was bad outside, too cold where I'm at or too rainy down in Louisiana. Me and sdm111 were joking last year about how much dust the chicks can kick up once they start feathering and scratching around IF still in the house.
Pretty positive everybody knows pine shavings are fine for chicks.

We keep chicks inside very briefly and then they go out to the big brooders so the dust isnt really an issue. Chicks are gonna make dust regardless of what bedding you use really. Their down feathers create the majority of the dust as they molt. We raise lots of chicks each year and have always raised very healthy fowl. Most battle crossed pullets are culled as soon as we can sex them to cut down on the unnecessary extra to brood. Once the chicks are moved to grow out pens they get straw. Once they are feathered we free range them until the stags start cocking up, then they go in stag pens with straw until their spurs set, and then they go on tie cords/barrels. Sorry Im rambling. Lol
Good process.. tried and true. Thats the way the old cockers do it from what I have seen/heard.

I think free ranging is the best for growing out. I keep all mine free range in my yard (and neighbors yard sometimes haha). Do you keep your free range in a netted area or just open to the world?

Last edited:
Straw is my preference too....

mostly because I use it for everything (nesting boxes, ground cover, bedding, mulch, etc)
yeah good for all around. I'd rather and have used raked leaves and pine needles before appalling, gross dust and dander ridden nasty *** shavings

Last edited:
Thats a little extreme.. I'm sure leaves would dry up and create dust as well.. hey but like I said to each there.. I've yet to have any problems going 8 yrs with it for bedding

Haha. All of it sucks if it gets wet especially shavings. They are good for an enclosed coop which is cleaned out weekly. For any kind of pen that is exposed to some elements it would probably be the worst choice.
I still use shavings for the first day or so with chicks then they go on straw, sometimes straight to straw.

they don't make it they add to it. More likely than not u have noticed the dust in the air when fresh shavings are put into a brooder.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom