Show Off Your American Gamefowl and Chat Thread!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pics
Yes, like in picture.

When only one hen bred by a rooster he stays with her around the clock. With up to three hens rooster is rotated daily between pens at end of day so he is with a given hen every second or third day. Roosters used as such are very tame and walk between pens on their own. Takes time to get that down ahead of breeding season. You gotta be on toes to make certain he goes to proper hen pen and not to another rooster. With a more wiley cock used to cover two hens, I let him and both hens free a few minutes before dark. They feed before going roost on front porch. After dark I collect them and put hens back in respective cages and rooster in with appropriate hen. In reality he likely more than does job of covering hens during the 15-30 mminutes before going to roost but having him shack up with ladies keeps need for number of pens down.

sounds to me like youv'e got some pretty good boys there well thanks for all the info much appreciated

sounds to me like youv'e got some pretty good boys there well thanks for all the info much appreciated

I do not think there is anything special about my birds. Prior to a change in rearing technique a few years ago, many of my stags in particular were down right flighty and required an extended period of time to acclimate them to handling. If they are tamed as chicks, whether hen raised or not, they are much easier to work with as adults even years after last handled.

marsh butcher and my daughter lol

One of my bullstags on job last year. He was trained for casual handling.

41527_eduardo_and_kid_under_moms_watch.jpg

What a wonderful thread!

I am getting a flock of these tomorrow, but need to select which ones to get. Could some use pictures of their own birds to point out good points and flaws in that bird? I would also love to know how to pick good hens and pullets.

Thank you in advance!

What a wonderful thread!
I am getting a flock of these tomorrow, but need to select which ones to get. Could some use pictures of their own birds to point out good points and flaws in that bird? I would also love to know how to pick good hens and pullets.
Thank you in advance!
Generally, assessing quality of American games is based upon performance. Prior to such assessments you can at least cull some based on how they feel in the hand, symmetry, quality of feather and overall signs of vigor. SOP's exist but I think that is more of a southern thing. Hens and pullets are selected very much based upon the quality of their father, brothers and male offspring (for hens).

OK...how do I know what good feather quality is?

I did see somewhere that there are flaws to be avoided, like pigeon keel and beetle brow, but I have no idea what that looks like.

Also, how can you test performance when you can't (or refuse to) use these birds in the capacity they were breed for. (and I do! I like the eggs and the breed, but not their past)

OK...how do I know what good feather quality is?

I did see somewhere that there are flaws to be avoided, like pigeon keel and beetle brow, but I have no idea what that looks like.

Also, how can you test performance when you can't (or refuse to) use these birds in the capacity they were breed for. (and I do! I like the eggs and the breed, but not their past)
The you are setting out to do what others have done to develop many other production breeds whether they be for eggs, meat or fiber (feathers). Looks will be based on what pleases your eye and egg production is based upon a combination of egg number, egg size, egg quality and if possible to determine the cost of getting those eggs produced.

A partial test of performance can be based upon free-range rearing and production. Predators and disease seem to get unfit first.

The looks department of the animals as suggested by the SOP out there is very much a function of past breeding for performance. Maintenance of such an appearane for a egg production will be decidely artificial.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom