Quote:
She's a beauty. What is she?

She's a
Rob Garza Dom pullet
wink.png

12005_imag2916.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:
I typed with dog chewing arm. Example is black breasted red hen. I also have some version of brown breasted brown-red. Hens of both color-types exhibit the dark eye-color, and both can be without out it. Red quill pattern I used to have was also associated with dark eyes and that was due to birds being black under the quill / autosomal barring pattern. Suggest to be two loci can influence eye color pattern via different routes.

Same hen from a distance.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/41527_sallie_molt_lateral_2011_september_12.jpg

My son is trying to play with the keyboard as I type. The American black breasted red game are my personal favorite breed of gamefowl. All the ones I've ever owned were red eyed. A lot of breeders I've
come across say they preferred the red eyes(in this breed). Not to say they won't have dark eyes cuz I'm sure there are some. I've seen some brown red and black breasted red(not to be confused with black breasted brown red)hens look identical in feather color. Most of the brown red hens I've saw were black or dark partridge and when I say brown red I am referring to black and brown breasted brown red. Just my experience.

Last edited:
My family has been working with American games and a few others for many yrs.
As of now the families is working on Greys, Doms, duke Hulsey's, some muffs,project Sid Taylors.

My area of interest mainly oriental games,
Asil mainly playing around with the .idea of getting American game bantams
wink.png

12005_imag2936.jpg

12005_imag2918.jpg

12005_imag2907-1.jpg

12005_imag2934.jpg

12005_imag2935.jpg

12005_imag2927.jpg

12005_imag2951-1.jpg

12005_imag2943.jpg

12005_imag4088-1.jpg

12005_imag3236-1.jpg

12005_imag3766-1.jpg

12005_imag3439-1.jpg

12005_imag1139-2.jpg

Last edited:
gamelife,
The brown breasted brown-red pattern in males can be realized by more than one genetic mechanism. Differences in those instances most evident in females. Version I have results in females that look like muddy brown wildtype hens with a barring pattern in secondary flight feathers and some the body contour feathers. A neighbor with lots of poultry genetics calls my birds "buff quills". Tonight I will post photographs of a couple pullets showing range of the pattern assuming upload overload status can be resolved. If same birds are crossed with games with the extended black allele, then the red quill color pattern should be exhibited. Other loci / alleles at play making for some interesting intergrades.

Quote:
Is the 4th pic a leiper, he looks alot like mine? I have to take some more pics later.
The pictures I got posted are about a month old now and my birds still have a way to grow.
Nice looking sids.

Last edited:
Quote:
You sure know your brown reds. I've never really taken any interest in them, just stating from the birds I saw and been around. What are the bloodlines or breeder names of your brown reds? Lets see some pics.

gamelife,

In my opinion I do not know what brown-reds really are as coloration and genetics behind has it been a recently acquired interest. Birds I have are not derived from a pure-bred line based on coloration where color genes known. They are from my families line that used to be repressent by a racemic mixture of black breasted reds, brown breasted brown-reds, red quill, and small number of almost black birds that almost always came from a mating involving red quill colored birds. Breeders names going into their makeup are unkown with certainty to me and their last significant inputs from such occured before I got into them back in the late 1970's. Based on memory of what Great Uncle said, they have some Hatch and Doc Knieford (black) in them. Hatch is a well known name but the Doc Knieford line appears to have been a name of local importance only.

Even if "known", the names are not all that informative especially if birds are not directly from hands those that developed line. When a small number of birds are acquired from a known stock and put through multiple generations of inbreeding you are gonna quickly end up with something that does not truely repressent the strain from which they are derived. The vast majority of birds classified as being of one line or another I have seen are not true repressentatives of those lines. This I am inclined to suspect when keeper of games has only a hundred birds but has twenty different lines on place.

Back
Top Bottom