Show off your Red sex-links!! [[pictures included]] !! (:

Pics
To Hilltop Farm, Yes , that was evident about day 5. The funny thing is that the grandkids named him 'Big Buddy' on the very first day! That's a picture of them as my avatar. I'm thinking he is the one in the back. I have to say I'm kind of glad to have a rooster. How are the 2cd generation at egg laying? I also have 5 black sex link, I wonder what they will look like? They are about two weeks younger and are mixing in well during the day. As soon as my husband finishes my VERY SECURE HEN HOUSE ,they are all going in together.

To Hilltop Farm, Yes , that was evident about day 5. The funny thing is that the grandkids named him 'Big Buddy' on the very first day! That's a picture of them as my avatar. I'm thinking he is the one in the back. I have to say I'm kind of glad to have a rooster. How are the 2cd generation at egg laying? I also have 5 black sex link, I wonder what they will look like? They are about two weeks younger and are mixing in well during the day. As soon as my husband finishes my VERY SECURE HEN HOUSE ,they are all going in together.
. So sweet

The 2nd generation are great egg layers too. Each successive breeding more and more white came out until my 4th generation were all white. I bread the females back to a RIR males and got more sex links true to color. It appears that the white color gene is the dominant color gene. I got more white chicks than black or grayish colored chicks and with each breeding more and more chicks were white.

They have to be at least 18 or 20 weeks old before they start laying.

Only around 6 weeks or a bit more to go! I have babies that I hatched, that I have to wait until late summer before I get any eggs. 20 weeks seems to be the norm for the reg. laying chicken..but the leghorns and the rsl can start as early as 16 weeks..always a good thing!
smile.png

The other ones who've been laying for a month, They all started around 20 weeks for me... One thing i learned is they need Tons of calcium!!
I make my special blend and get VERY nice hard eggs just right

Just some of the girls that just started laying in the past week

Love that first girl, reminds me of my Reba. A red sex link that I will be keeping for a long time. :) Good girls you have, starting to lay, and now lay they will right?

Back
Top Bottom