Show off your Red sex-links!! [[pictures included]] !! (:

Pics
I have six Red Sex Links. Got them less than a week ago and they're my very first chickens. Do they tend to be more friendly if they're handled a lot as chicks?

Nor always. I have a gal right now would follow me around, and was a loner. She wouldn't go with the flock, just stay away on her own. Then, once she started laying, she became a different bird. Not only did she follow me, but I could reach out and touch her. She will jump on the roost outside of the coop and just look right at my face when I bend down to talk to her. Cute girl. She is now right up there in the pecking order, but not mean at all!
Another girl, has started laying, and will follow me around, but doesn't want me to touch her. She is good with the flock too.
They are all different, just as any breed. You get different personalities, but I find that the Red sex links. are more often than not...friendly.

This is my Reba, up on the roost to see me up close. :)

This is Daisy. Just before she started laying. Still lets me get close, but off she goes,
when I put my hand out to her. In the other pen, you can see a bantam Faverolle peeking
out at me..now there's a sweetheart! The blue OE is very sweet too..much bigger now.

Nor always. I have a gal right now would follow me around, and was a loner. She wouldn't go with the flock, just stay away on her own. Then, once she started laying, she became a different bird. Not only did she follow me, but I could reach out and touch her. She will jump on the roost outside of the coop and just look right at my face when I bend down to talk to her. Cute girl. She is now right up there in the pecking order, but not mean at all!
Another girl, has started laying, and will follow me around, but doesn't want me to touch her. She is good with the flock too.
They are all different, just as any breed. You get different personalities, but I find that the Red sex links. are more often than not...friendly.

This is my Reba, up on the roost to see me up close. :)

This is Daisy. Just before she started laying. Still lets me get close, but off she goes,
when I put my hand out to her. In the other pen, you can see a bantam Faverolle peeking
out at me..now there's a sweetheart! The blue OE is very sweet too..much bigger now.

It seems like my chicks are starting to get more used to me. (If I could just get my kid to not reach in the box so fast and scare them.) A few of them do kind of hide in the corner and don't want to be picked up. I wonder if I will even be able to tell some of them apart when they grow up. Right now I can only tell the biggest one (which is the friendliest) and the smallest. The other four are identical.
You have nice looking chickens! :)

Sal, each one will get their own personality and you will not be able to mistake them from each other. I have had a lot of different breeds over the years, and I have to say I love my RSL and my Cochins the best as far as friendly, lovable and easy to care for.

sal, try getting some dried mealworms! They love them as chicks. They get really used to "The Hand" coming in with treats, and they come running!

sal, try getting some dried mealworms! They love them as chicks. They get really used to "The Hand" coming in with treats, and they come running!

Thanks I'll have to try that. My son found a little earthworm the other day and put it in their box but they just looked at it and walked away lol.

It seems like my chicks are starting to get more used to me. (If I could just get my kid to not reach in the box so fast and scare them.) A few of them do kind of hide in the corner and don't want to be picked up. I wonder if I will even be able to tell some of them apart when they grow up. Right now I can only tell the biggest one (which is the friendliest) and the smallest. The other four are identical.
You have nice looking chickens! :)

I was concerned about this with 4 rsl but I was lucky they all have subtle differences you can tell them apart if you're paying attention as for the two ?'s still no clue which one is which.

Back
Top Bottom