Sick Sheep. Can anyone offer any advice?

I'm just getting in for the evening. This is the update.

I gave her some Pepto Bismol and took away all food except water and fresh hay. She has been nibbling all day. I checked for fever but she doesn't have a fever. I went to the feed store to buy some LA 200 but they only had LA300 and the guy at the feed store tried to sneak it in the bag until I noticed that it said LA300. He said that I could give it to her anyway, but I was scared. I didn't want to kill her with an overdose, so I didn't get it. I wanted to pass that by you all. Is the LA300 ok or not?

As far as feeing, I feed my sheep rice bran with a mixture of chopped corn. I throw some pellets in every now and then. Is that ok to feed them that? There is limited "Sheep" feed in my area. What do u suggest I feed her?

She has not had her worm/tetanus/overeating shot this year. When I went to the feed store, everyone was out of the worm shot but one store has ordered it for me and it will be here on Thursday. I will give it to her (all of them on Thursday).

How long would you say is "too long" for her to "act" "unusual and not herself"? When should I take her to the vet?

Sounds like I should try the baking soda and water as well. Am I missing anything else? Please advise

Thanks

LA 300 is basically the same as LA 200, but stays active in the body longer. Dosage is the same.

WORM medications should be given ORALLY, so I'm not sure what youre talking about when you said "worm shot"

If your sheep have never had a CD&T vaccine, they will need 2 doses, spaced 3 weeks apart. Dosage is 2 ML , no matter what size the animal. IF they have had the vaccine before, they just need a 1 dose yearly booster

If she's up and eating, she's not bloated.
Bloat is obvious, since they look like they are about to burst like a balloon

Quote:
UPDATE: I went outside this morning and I found my girl grazing. She seems to be doing better but I will still keep an eye on her.

Glad to hear that the LA300 is good. I just didnt' know. I may have misunderstood the guy at the store. I think he said to be given orally but I will make sure. He named the medince that he was going to order but I forgot. Is there more than 1 kind of worm medication? What is the name of the worm medication that you give your sheep?

What do you all feed your sheep? Is rice bran and chopped corn ok? The people that I get my sheep from, told me to feed them that.

I feed mine mostly hay with a little bit of grain every morning,i also leave out baking soda and mineral for free choice.I worm my sheep with eprinex pour on cattle wormer

Glad she's doing better!
big_smile.png

Another thing to try could be to get an un-needled 20ml syringe and squirt sone natural UNSWEETENED yoghurt into her mouth a couple of times a day for 3 or so days.... this should help get some good bacteria into her system if she has been off her food etc. This helps with bloat in lambs too.

I use baking soda from the mill that i buy in 25# bags as i also have pygmy goats to and go thru alot. As for hay i use a grass,clover ,timothy mix

Back
Top Bottom