Silkie breeding, genetics & showing

Yes, start a large fowl Silkie program! I've wanted to do this for years. Can you imagine Silkies, the size of a Jersey Giant? How magnificent!

They already have them over in Europe ....
smile.png
(I actually know of someone in Canada that is developing a large fowl version.)

Yes, start a large fowl Silkie program! I've wanted to do this for years. Can you imagine Silkies, the size of a Jersey Giant? How magnificent!
Where's that LIKE button
wink.png
Yes, a beachball sized silkie would be awesome. Imagine how cuddly it would be! There was someone on here a year or two ago with huge silkies (10+ lbs), and considering selling eggs. Should have bought some....even though I almost never purchase eggs. She did post a photo of herself holding a huge armful of one silkie.

Quote: Yes, but the European & Australian largefowl silkies are not really that much larger than ours. Their bantams are smaller. Our cocks weigh 36 oz and our hens 32 oz; Australian LF cocks weigh 56-71 oz, hens 41-56 oz; Australian bantams weigh 20-24 and 16-20 oz. In contrast, a 10 lb silkie would be 160 oz.
ep.gif

The person I refer to in Canada is developing a genuine "large" silkied bird. (I was asked to bring one of mine to use in a photo shoot for comparison purposes but the timing didn't work out - and he isn't small.) I'll see if I can get some information about what they are up to and even better, some pictures. They aren't too far from me ....

Quote: Yes, but the European & Australian largefowl silkies are not really that much larger than ours. Their bantams are smaller. Our cocks weigh 36 oz and our hens 32 oz; Australian LF cocks weigh 56-71 oz, hens 41-56 oz; Australian bantams weigh 20-24 and 16-20 oz. In contrast, a 10 lb silkie would be 160 oz.
ep.gif

The person I refer to in Canada is developing a genuine "large" silkied bird. (I was asked to bring one of mine to use in a photo shoot for comparison purposes but the timing didn't work out - and he isn't small.) I'll see if I can get some information about what they are up to and even better, some pictures. They aren't too far from me ....
Awesome!

Is there anything that I can look for, teltale signs, that may indicate who may be the culprit?

Your Avatar just kills me.
big_smile.png
She is sooooo stunning!

Thank you! I love her. My dark blue girl was born chipmonk so I knew she was carrying partridge. She turned totally blue in about 9 weeks. After her first adult moult, she developed some dark brown tones in here hackle area. Here she is at 4 months.

Baby

One on the left.

I wish they had a simple "Like" button for us here on BYC like they do on facebook.

rotflmao!
gig.gif
lau.gif

Where's that LIKE button
wink.png
Yes, a beachball sized silkie would be awesome. Imagine how cuddly it would be! There was someone on here a year or two ago with huge silkies (10+ lbs), and considering selling eggs. Should have bought some....even though I almost never purchase eggs. She did post a photo of herself holding a huge armful of one silkie.

There is a like button right next to the multi button but no one ever uses it!
tongue.png

Back
Top Bottom