Silkie breeding, genetics & showing

They are young. I was told they were hatched on dec 25th.
They still have a bunch of growing to do.
big_smile.png

This is what my guy looked like when he was somewhere around 4 months. He looked pathetic.
lol.png

This is what he looks like now.

Not a great picture, but quite an improvement on his part.
big_smile.png
He's just a pet.

I think they are the same bird, too. Too many similarities...I don't *think* splash, but without the bird in hand I am not prepared to state that it *is* not. Could be both grey and splash mixed together. One reason I don't think splash is because there is no real splashing all over the body, and hackle and tail are both noticeably dark...but mixing in the genes for grey plus maybe other genes could do that.
goodpost.gif

OK...I have what I think is a grey/silver cockerel. But I need verification. I don't know how I got him except from a black hen and a roo that has some silver around his neck. I really want to know how so I can duplicate it. I would love to have a grey pen. Does anyone know of someone who sells grey/silver eggs? I am entering him in a local show this weekend just to get some feedback on his confirmation. He seems to be developing decent crest (hopefully it continues to develop) and his foot feathering is wonderful. I will try to get better pics today to post later.
He is about 5-6 mo. old. thanks!

He has more grey/silver in the rest of his body since this pic.

Yes, he looks like a grey. Congratulations! There are not very many people working on grey. Nice that you have somewhere to start with your new grey pen. :)
OK...I have what I think is a grey/silver cockerel. But I need verification. I don't know how I got him except from a black hen and a roo that has some silver around his neck. I really want to know how so I can duplicate it. I would love to have a grey pen. Does anyone know of someone who sells grey/silver eggs? I am entering him in a local show this weekend just to get some feedback on his confirmation. He seems to be developing decent crest (hopefully it continues to develop) and his foot feathering is wonderful. I will try to get better pics today to post later. He is about 5-6 mo. old. thanks! He has more grey/silver in the rest of his body since this pic.

Hi everyone - I am almost 300 posts behind! I have a show at the end of this month - some of my show birds do not look so hot after wintering inside the cottage - we had a very long winter (Maine) and I am just now getting them out and so forth. Here are some pics and I need advice from those on here who actually show - bear in mind they all need bathed. Showing is for fun but I also want to represent appropriately. That will happen this week and the chosen ones will be put in the show cages. This is my first time showing roosters and I concerned about the feathers in the Splash's tail and the feathers sticking out in my whites head. Please let me know your thoughts on these 3 Roos: Splash, Blue and White

So i made the drive to go pick up this cockerel. Decided i should not be so picky when it its so hard to find grey roosters. So i took him home and then discovered this:

Yes his crown is red but his poor beak is twisted. You can't even tell when his beak is closed so i missed it when i was looking him over the first time. But it sure if obvious in this picture. So i won't be breeding him :( There are a lot of other faults anyway. But he sure is sweet. He just stands still so i can pet him. Here are a couple more pics:

For now I'm going to keep him in a non breeding pen with a pullet who has crooked toes.

What color would you call these two cockerels? Are they a light grey, Columbian or splash? Someone is selling them locally and i was considering one if it could be useful in breeding grey (my rooster died and it its hard to find a grey without autosamal red).

So i made the drive to go pick up this cockerel. Decided i should not be so picky when it its so hard to find grey roosters. So i took him home and then discovered this:

Yes his crown is red but his poor beak is twisted. You can't even tell when his beak is closed so i missed it when i was looking him over the first time. But it sure if obvious in this picture. So i won't be breeding him
sad.png
There are a lot of other faults anyway. But he sure is sweet. He just stands still so i can pet him. Here are a couple more pics:

For now I'm going to keep him in a non breeding pen with a pullet who has crooked toes.
Quote:
I am sorry you didn't catch that at first. Is that the same Gray male in the pictures? He sure looks darker than that one.

Back
Top Bottom