Silkie Holiday Hatch-a-long

@TwinArrowsFarm you'll love having a turner. I now have 3 bators. 2 for incubating and 1 for hatching. All the farm innovators. My goose just started laying so I'm sticking one of her eggs in just to see if fertile. I know her first batch last yr were not but the second was.

@jorey how cool! I wish I had more space for ducks and geese. I would love a huge pond! What kind of geese do you have? I hope my silkies ship tomorrow. I'm anxious to see how the turner holds up. Is your turner the farm innovators turner? I heard the little giant turners don't do well when they are completely full.
@Cloudseeker congratulations! Post pictures! :)

@TwinArrowsFarm the turners came with the bators. So not sure. I have dick and jane. They are african geese. A friend gave them to me 2 yrs ago. She ddnt want them anymore. Crazy. Lol. I have a small like 5x5 pond and kiddie pools for them. They honeatly spend more time in kiddie pools than pond.

That is too funny! We live on my husband's grandma's property which has the space but the other family members that live on the property aren't in love with the animals we already have! Lol my husband did finally rebuild our coop so I'll be keeping at least 5 out of this hatch.... maybe more.... lol we'll see! I really really want to do Ancona ducks next time around. Have you tried duck eggs in your turner? @jorey

@TwinArrowsFarm I rent my place from my cousin. 3 acres with 3 barns he has full of stuff so I don't use them. Lol. Keep trying to talk him into selling it to me but he's not giving in yet. Lol. I have never incubated duck or goose eggs. I know duck eggs arwnt much bigger than regular chixken eggs though. I'm trying to figure out how to put my goose egg in. Have to see how many eggs come next week. I think both will be full. But I have 10 due for lockdown next weekend so those will go in hatcher.might just have to wait till her next batch.

Here is an issue I am having with my baby chicks. Some of them have been hatched much larger than the other Silkie chicks. And they can't stand. They flop over onto their backs and don't make it more than 24 hours. Does anyone know what causes this? It's a shame - the chicks are super cute and fuzzy and I've lost 3 in the last few weeks. One of the chicks that hatched last night is having the same issue.

@Cloudseeker I'm not sure about that. You might want to post on the emergency forum for a faster more experienced answer. I haven't had problems with mine. Knock on wood. Best of luck with them.

@jorey that sounds like a nice piece of property! I don't blame you for chomping at the bit to buy! Maybe he'll give in one of these days!
@Cloudseeker That's strange? I wonder if it has anything to do with your temp or humidity during incubation? I agree with jorey. Someone on the emergency thread may have an answer for you. I hope you get it sorted out. That is such a bummer :(

The one in the corner is a newborn Silkie - just checking out the corner. Then there is my chipmunk looking Silkie newborn, a new blue Wyandotte chick from the feedstore, a Sicilian chick who wasn't growing as fast as the others, a newborn Silkie taking a nap (started running around after I took this pix), and the large one by the water and food is the one flopping around.

Back
Top Bottom