Silkie Holiday Hatch-a-long

So here I am a seasoned hatcher and I got my days mixed up. Thinking today was lockdown, I filled up all my water and watched humidity jump to 60%, so I picked up the first egg to make my final candle and mark aircell, and it peeped! And there was a pip hole! I quickly put it in the hatching drawer, picked up the 2nd.....same thing, another PIP, 3rd egg has no external pip, but I candled and it has pipped into the aircell! So this is day 19 not 18.....someone kick me.......LOL AND I have babies hatching!!!!!

Great news!!

Such cute little chipmunks!
[COLOR=800080]Hi everyone! [/COLOR]:frow [COLOR=800080]I had one of my girls hatch 3 out Thanksgiving Day and she remained on the nest - then hatched 3 more on December 2nd. I have two more broodies to go.[/COLOR]
Jacqueline, seems like our eggs usually pip and hatch by day 19. I love it when they come early!
So here I am a seasoned hatcher and I got my days mixed up. Thinking today was lockdown, I filled up all my water and watched humidity jump to 60%, so I picked up the first egg to make my final candle and mark aircell, and it peeped! And there was a pip hole! I quickly put it in the hatching drawer, picked up the 2nd.....same thing, another PIP, 3rd egg has no external pip, but I candled and it has pipped into the aircell! So this is day 19 not 18.....someone kick me.......LOL AND I have babies hatching!!!!!
We've never had a hatch that big. It would be small miracle if we had that many eggs develop. ;)
Tonight was lockdown for our 18! Squee!!

I'm in! Set 29 silkies yesterday and 18 today. More later in the week. Due between 12/30-January.

Let's see if this link works....

A quick candling video where we can clearly see the embryo moving.. little legs and footsies. Please excuse our voices,I was showing Lindsey's personal aide how we candle and we were amazed at this egg!

Last edited:
Some of you already had chicks hatch-yeah, good for you! Sorry I've been MIA. BYC is harder to post and maneuver with my smart phone.
I did want to update on Day 10 progress. 24 silkie eggs and 12 D'anver eggs are developing nicely. Crossing my fingers that they'll keep going.
We'll sell all the d'anver chicks (unless we're pretty sure it's a pullet) and keep the silkies to add to our breeding pens. When they are older we'll rehome all the boys and girls not at least breeder quality.

Back
Top Bottom