Silkie Holiday Hatch-a-long

Hi all,
I haven't posted here yet as I just came across your thread. I am hatching Silkies, I set them on Dec 11th for a New Years Day hatch. Im part of the NYDH. Because I am hatching Silkies I thought it would be fun to join you all also.

These are not my 1st Silkies, I did have 2 Silkies that I raised from chicks and LOVED them. They both turned out to be roosters so sadly I rehomed them, I almost changed my mind many times but thought it was for the best since I didn't have a rooster free house for them. I promised my 11yr old DD that I would get her more SIlkies one day so she could start her own flock. So for an early Christmas gift I bought her Silkie Hatching eggs from a member here on BYC and they were shipped to us. We ordered 24 and received 32 eggs. We are on day 8 and I candled yesterday and out of the 32, 18 are developing well, 13 are clear and 1 is a blood ring.

The colors were are hatching are Blue, Black, Splash, White and Paint.

My favorite color Silkies and what I was looking for are Porcelain but couldn't find any at the time.

I also set with my Silkies some BCMs and OEs.

Sorry for the long intro lol

Last edited:
Today is Day 16 for mine. It's time to set up the other incubator as a hatcher. I like just moving the eggs into a different incubator with the higher humidity and cartons.

My "hatcher" doesn't have a fan...
Any thoughts or experience with/without a fan during hatching?
What about "best" temperature and humidity to shoot for?

I actually prefer no fan for hatching. Humidity seems to level out and hold better. The air movement dries up the water in the incubator and messes with my humidity level.

Welcome! We are all in different stages of incubation and hatching. Sounds very promising to have so many eggs developing. Please keep us posted on their progress.

Hi all,
I haven't posted here yet as I just came across your thread. I am hatching Silkies, I set them on Dec 11th for a New Years Day hatch. Im part of the NYDH. Because I am hatching Silkies I thought it would be fun to join you all also.

These are not my 1st Silkies, I did have 2 Silkies that I raised from chicks and LOVED them. They both turned out to be roosters so sadly I rehomed them, I almost changed my mind many times but thought it was for the best since I didn't have a rooster free house for them. I promised my 11yr old DD that I would get her more SIlkies one day so she could start her own flock. So for an early Christmas gift I bought her Silkie Hatching eggs from a member here on BYC and they were shipped to us. We ordered 24 and received 32 eggs. We are on day 8 and I candled yesterday and out of the 32, 18 are developing well, 13 are clear and 1 is a blood ring.

The colors were are hatching are Blue, Black, Splash, White and Paint.

My favorite color Silkies and what I was looking for are Porcelain but couldn't find any at the time.

I also set with my Silkies some BCMs and OEs.

Sorry for the long intro lol

I was getting worried that we seem to have some late quitters and aren't seeing much movement...but tonight we heard a few little peeps, thank goodness! Seems like overnight our air cells have gotten huge. Very odd to happen this quickly and it may be due to the cold and snowy weather, barometric pressure and low ambient room humidity. I increased the humidity to 55% even though we have no external pips. Hoping to see some chicks tomorrow!

Good Morning from California!

I woke up to find 3 chicks in the incubator and more pips-yeah! 1 splash silkie and 2 d'anvers.
This is Day 20 so I'm thinking my temp was a bit warmer than I usually run.

Good Morning from California!

I woke up to find 3 chicks in the incubator and more pips-yeah! 1 splash silkie and 2 d'anvers.
This is Day 20 so I'm thinking my temp was a bit warmer than I usually run.
wee.gif
thumbsup.gif

Good Morning,
I have eggs that should be here tomorrow................
I have four that I hatched about 8 weeks ago................
Two frizzled.......1 black,1 Blue.....and two lovely whites.................

They are great fun...........Good luck to all that are hatching......................
thumbsup.gif

We have pips!! We have 7 silkie eggs in lockdown. I just went in to check the humidity and 4 have pipped! I think they're mostly whites and a couple blue/splash. My son will be so excited when he comes home from school. I'm incubating some quail eggs for a friend that are due to hatch January 2nd and some Wyandottes that should hatch the same day. Good luck with your hatches!!

I have three silkie eggs in the bator. They should a few days after christmas. :3 I'm super excited! This is only my second time incubating eggs, and my first time owning silkies. Their eggs are so tiny compared to the ones I'm used too.

We have just noticed that our silkies have eggs in their pen! The brooder is staying close to them, so we think she layed them, rather than another chicken getting in the pen and doing it. If so, these are her first eggs!! Is it okay for them to be outside when it's this cold?

Back
Top Bottom