Silkie Holiday Hatch-a-long

First one is out. It's a white!

Well, I think my hatch is over with a total of 18 chicks hatching.
I'm happy for these chicks but I always wonder why ALL of the eggs didn't hatch?
14 silkies hatched-8 silkie eggs didn't
4 d'anver chicks- 7 d'anver eggs didn't

The 15 non-hatching eggs had fully formed chicks inside but didn't even pip? :( I did not do eggtopsies because it just makes me upset not knowing why.

On a brighter note...I set about 50 more eggs yesterday. I will candle on Friday morning because I need to get rid of clears to make room on the turner. The eggs are stacked and crowded in there now. With my silkies it's feast or famine. They are laying better than my large fowl girls!

Our hatch did not fare as well. We have 4 chicks out of 8 eggs that went into lockdown...2 with lobster claws and one with no skin covering the top of it's head (brain exposed). I am going to put up a picture on The Silkie Site FB group for educational purposes. For now, I have to remove that chick from the rest, it's struggling and is making my daughter teary. I'm heading to do some holiday shopping and focus on "retail therapy" for a bit.

So far for my Dec. hatches ( staggered small settings)

* Dec 14th 1 black , 1 blue and one partridge

* Dec 17th, 3 partridge

* In the hatcher now 3 eggs , one was dropped and cracked so dont think it has a chance of hatching ( it was badly damaged) Should hatch on the 24th

* I also have a 2 egg New years hatch :)

Back
Top Bottom