Silkie Holiday Hatch-a-long

I put about 60 more silkie eggs in the incubator that we collected over the last 3 weeks. Only 4 are from my white pen and all others from the blue/black/splash pens-Those girls are popping them out almost daily! I just started adding Calf Manna supplement to their feed so hoping it helps develop strong chicks.
I was SO frustrated with my Shih-tzu the otherday. I had just collected an egg from the white pen and set it inside the house in a basket. Then I went outside ti finish chores. When I came back inside, the dog had carried the egg to her bed and had broken a hole to eat the egg. I was especially upset because when I cracked it all the way open to look at the yolk...it had a perfect target showing fertility! I can't seem to build my white silkie pen.

Wow, I had to toss about 30 eggs out. :(
Many were infertile from pullets that just started laying. The roosters haven't gotten to "know" them yet. Then I had about 3 blood rings.
Crossing my fingers for the 2 white silkie eggs to hatch....along with the others of course. There are 32 eggs developing still.

Last night I did day16 candling on my eggs. I started with 32 Silkie eggs(shipped) and 6 eggs from my own flock(3 BCM, 3 OE)

After last nights candling I am down to 16 Silkie eggs
in total I have pulled 12 clears, 1 bloodring, 3 quiters

And for my eggs
I pulled 1 Marans that was clear leaving me with 2 Marans eggs
and 1 OE quitter leaving me with 2 OE eggs

started with 38 eggs total and down to 20eggs. LOCKDOWN TOMORROW YAY!!!!!!!!

These are my 1st Silkies I have ever hatched I am very excited.

Last night I did day16 candling on my eggs. I started with 32 Silkie eggs(shipped) and 6 eggs from my own flock(3 BCM, 3 OE)

After last nights candling I am down to 16 Silkie eggs
in total I have pulled 12 clears, 1 bloodring, 3 quiters

And for my eggs
I pulled 1 Marans that was clear leaving me with 2 Marans eggs
and 1 OE quitter leaving me with 2 OE eggs

started with 38 eggs total and down to 20eggs. LOCKDOWN  TOMORROW YAY!!!!!!!!

These are my 1st Silkies I have ever hatched I am very excited.

Good luck with your hatch...especially your silkies. They will steal your heart. <3

Baby #1 is as cute as a button and is doing well. He seemed to be lone so I put a big pom pom in with him and he snuggles up against it. Out of the 25 eggs I am down to 14. The others were either un fertile or quitters. One started pipping!!!

1 stopped, middle egg a Silkie
barnie.gif
, 3 eggs remain Day 22
Black Silkie hatched 12/28/13
celebrate.gif

Silkie/Frizzle Cochin Cross, bought as a Sizzle egg hatched 12/27/13
ya.gif

Hey EGGsperienced Silkie Egg Hatchers, We tried for a hatch of 7 viable eggs per candling on Day 18. We got 2 Sizzle, and 1 Black Silkie. The middle egg contains a Silkie. It gave up after struggling about 24+ hours.
pop.gif
No peeps for past 12 hours.
pop.gif
Shell was very thick. Of the remaining eggs, 1 is Silkie from 11/28
old.gif
, 1 is Sultan from 11/27
old.gif
, and 1 is Sizzle from 12/2. These guys haven't pipped yet, it's Day 22, almost Day 23. Any suggestions for this point? Humidity is at 65%. Two of those eggs are kind of old.
We are delighted with our 3 little birds. One Sizzle had a bum leg, but it's better now. Started physical therapy less than 1 day of being hatched and it seems to be much better. Our plan for the remaining 3 eggs is to continue humidity 65% and temp at 98F-99F. Do you have any other ideas to help these guys hatch? This is our only hatch ever. We picked Silkie/Sizzle because we plan to have them live in the house with us, and they are supposed to be very friendly.

1 stopped, middle egg a Silkie
barnie.gif
, 3 eggs remain Day 22
Black Silkie hatched 12/28/13
celebrate.gif

Silkie/Frizzle Cochin Cross, bought as a Sizzle egg hatched 12/27/13
ya.gif

Hey EGGsperienced Silkie Egg Hatchers, We tried for a hatch of 7 viable eggs per candling on Day 18. We got 2 Sizzle, and 1 Black Silkie. The middle egg contains a Silkie. It gave up after struggling about 24+ hours.
pop.gif
No peeps for past 12 hours.
pop.gif
Shell was very thick. Of the remaining eggs, 1 is Silkie from 11/28
old.gif
, 1 is Sultan from 11/27
old.gif
, and 1 is Sizzle from 12/2. These guys haven't pipped yet, it's Day 22, almost Day 23. Any suggestions for this point? Humidity is at 65%. Two of those eggs are kind of old.
We are delighted with our 3 little birds. One Sizzle had a bum leg, but it's better now. Started physical therapy less than 1 day of being hatched and it seems to be much better. Our plan for the remaining 3 eggs is to continue humidity 65% and temp at 98F-99F. Do you have any other ideas to help these guys hatch? This is our only hatch ever. We picked Silkie/Sizzle because we plan to have them live in the house with us, and they are supposed to be very friendly.
Those babies are so cute!My silkies are the sweetest chickens in the world! I have never owned a frizzle, but im sure they are just as docile. My rooster fallows me around every where, and would come in the house if he was allowed to! He stands at the back door and pecks at it until some one comes out to give him loving .

Sad news, my second baby didn't make it.
hit.gif
He hatched but something seemed to be wrong right off the bat. He woulden't open his eyes, and just started flailing and thrashing around crying. There was blood comeing out of his embilical cord, and after about an hour he just layed flat on his stomach and started to breathe hard. I went to get im water but he was gone when I got back. :( Any ideas on what happened? He is the second chick that I have lost, thie first was solid white and only lasted long enough to break out of his shell. This one has white on him, could there be a color connection? I know that if you breed a overo paint horse with another overo the chances of the white can be fatal for the foal, the genes don't match up. Could something like that be happening here? All of my silkies are solid black, except one hen that has a single white tail feather. Any thoughts? I am feeling discouraged, it's my first hatch and so far only one baby (solid black) has survived...

Sad news, my second baby didn't make it.
hit.gif
He hatched but something seemed to be wrong right off the bat. He woulden't open his eyes, and just started flailing and thrashing around crying. There was blood comeing out of his embilical cord, and after about an hour he just layed flat on his stomach and started to breathe hard. I went to get im water but he was gone when I got back. :( Any ideas on what happened? He is the second chick that I have lost, thie first was solid white and only lasted long enough to break out of his shell. This one has white on him, could there be a color connection? I know that if you breed a overo paint horse with another overo the chances of the white can be fatal for the foal, the genes don't match up. Could something like that be happening here? All of my silkies are solid black, except one hen that has a single white tail feather. Any thoughts? I am feeling discouraged, it's my first hatch and so far only one baby (solid black) has survived...

Are the hen and roo related? Brother and sister? White is not fatal in silkies. We breed white to white all the time. I would guess it is something genetic.

I haven't though of the possibility of them being related... I bought them as a flock from a retired lady who didn't give me any information on their back round. Thank you for the input!!!

Back
Top Bottom