Silkie Holiday Hatch-a-long

I am officially done with this batch. Three more chicks have hatched, all died within the first 12 hours. They all seemed to be sluggish and would have sort of spams. One seemed fine but I woke up this morning and it was gone. Thank you all for your kind words of encouragement. At least now I know that my roos are related to my hens in some way. No more chicks for them. My little Christmas miracle chick is growing like a weed and is ver happy. Un plugging the bator today though, I don't want to put any more chicks through what the past ones have
hit.gif
I am not done hatching though, and after this I will be looking for white silkie eggs to try again! They don't have to be fancy show quaility, heck they don't even need five toes. I just love their attitudes and the way they look. Is MyPetChicken a good site to look on? Because I was also thinking about throwing some different breeds in the bator as well. Thank you guys again for all of your help, it has been invaluable!

I wouldnt order from any hatchery, just my opinion. Go to the top of the page where it says Forum, then click on "But Sell Trade" and go to hatching eggs. Tons of people on here sell eggs!

When our eggs arrived we washed our hands with regular soap and water, dried them good, unwrapped the eggs from the bubble wrap and placed them into a regular egg carton. We didn't cut out holes or anything. We placed the egg carton onto a towel on top of a piece of cardboard on the kitchen counter because the countertop is stone and we didn't want the eggs to get really cold. Since our eggs were older, some more than 8 days, we placed them into the incubator after sitting only about 8 hours.
We have an alcohol gel hand sanitizer that we kept by the incubator. We would hand sanitize prior to touching the eggs. I was concerned about transmitting any "human" germs to the eggs, even though we are all pretty healthy. We would wash with regular soap and water. Our eggs were very clean but we still did wash our hands. We didn't wear gloves.
jumpy.gif
thank you for the information! :) MUCH appreciated!!!

I don't wear latex gloves and most of the time I forget to wash my hands before handling eggs. I also don't sanitize cartons. I figure my broodies can get 95-100% hatch rate and the broody doesn't sanitize her nest box
wink.png
so Im not over cautious with handling the eggs.
thank you for the info!! MUCH appreciated!!! This will be my first time and am just nervous.

well fellow hatch alongs, I am finally going to begin!!! My eggs are due to arrive monday/tuesday so will be incubating for my first time EVER next week!!! I am so excited!!!!! getting 18+ silkie eggs, splash, porcelein, paint, buff/ partridge/ cuckoo.... we shall see what happens! if anyone can think of any last minute words of wisdom I am all ears!

planning on sitting for 24 hours, then into the incy. sit in there for 36 hours, then start turning them. planning on attempting 5 times day as i'm up early and home for lunch person so should be doable... got my candling and weighing dates down.... let the good times roll!!!!
ya.gif

Back
Top Bottom