Silkie thread!

Awww. That's sweet.
love.gif
Thanks, she is very sweet & I haven't had a silkie since 4H in Jr. High. I remember him being such a sweetheart & would like another if possible.
Mostly with Dahlia getting a great loving home though, even if I don't trade.
& Oh My! Your silkies are beautiful!!!
0.jpg

(I hate black bars too, sorry for that. Wasn't thinking)

Last edited:
Are you sure one is a male?
Yes, I'm pretty sure. The two pics are of the same bird. He has a single comb which is huge and has a red tint making it look purple, as well as very big wattles that he got early on. Also, I think I heard him attempt to crow (not 100% sure if it was him though) and is nearly twice the size of the one in the picture. I could get a face shot of him tomorrow :)

Buttermilk will help till you get the meds, if you still have no joy with the link seminolewind
Has given you I would give the sulmet a go. There are other treatments but many are only available through your vet. Penazeryl, metronidazole and salinomycin are just a few.
How are the chicks today ?
Sorry, my internet has been down a lot today. They're doing alright so far. They'd been on Corid a few days before I posted here and that seems to have calmed the cocci (the bloody droppings have stopped, although at this point I don't believe the cocci is taken care of.) My wee buff who is the only one I definitely know has the bloody droppings this time and last time is still doing well, she seems a bit less active but not too lethargic or out of it. They're all eating and drinking well. My little black silkie seems a bit stunted, growth wise, hopefully the vitamins will help her catch up. My other black silkie who actually has the wry neck seems to be improving slightly. I have to hand feed and water her right now, and she's been eating and drinking significantly more each day. Her neck coordination has improved a lot, although she can't really move around yet. I have her on vitamin E, poly-vi-sol (still trying to get nutridrench) and selenium via molasses. I've been giving her turmeric mixed in some water, as I heard that can help as well, and she seems to like that most of all. I've also been mixing mashed up boiled egg yolk in with her feed. I've heard wry neck can take awhile to cure? The fact that she isn't really walking or feeding/hydrating on her own makes me worry that I am not really helping her and it would be kinder to put her to sleep, but she does not seem to be suffering and still talks to her "siblings" (she is in her own box near their brooder) and seems content so far. She's so sweet and I hope she recovers. Thank you again for all your help.

Sorry, my internet has been down a lot today. They're doing alright so far. They'd been on Corid a few days before I posted here and that seems to have calmed the cocci (the bloody droppings have stopped, although at this point I don't believe the cocci is taken care of.) My wee buff who is the only one I definitely know has the bloody droppings this time and last time is still doing well, she seems a bit less active but not too lethargic or out of it. They're all eating and drinking well. My little black silkie seems a bit stunted, growth wise, hopefully the vitamins will help her catch up. My other black silkie who actually has the wry neck seems to be improving slightly. I have to hand feed and water her right now, and she's been eating and drinking significantly more each day. Her neck coordination has improved a lot, although she can't really move around yet. I have her on vitamin E, poly-vi-sol (still trying to get nutridrench)  and selenium via molasses. I've been giving her turmeric mixed in some water, as I heard that can help as well, and she seems to like that most of all. I've also been mixing mashed up boiled egg yolk in with her feed. I've heard wry neck can take awhile to cure? The fact that she isn't really walking or feeding/hydrating on her own makes me worry that I am not really helping her and it would be kinder to put her to sleep, but she does not seem to be suffering and still talks to her "siblings" (she is in her own box near their brooder) and seems content so far. She's so sweet and I hope she recovers. Thank you again for all your help.

That sounds promising. :)
The amprolium won't have had time to do the job. You need to give the ' treatment ' dose for 5-7 days , then halve the dosage for a further 5-7 days , then halve the dosage for another 5-7 days . Effectively you are treating for 3 weeks, by gradually reducing the level of amprolium you are assisting the birds to develop some level of immunity whilst maintaining protection from the Protozoa . This prolonged treatment can cause problems with birds that are already thiamine B1 deficient .
I have heard stories of birds that have had complete recovery from wryneck , so don't despair yet. Most pellet feeds have everything added nowadays but the heat used in the process can deplete some of these vitamins . Storage and used by dates should also be carefully considered. Humidity and moisture will destroy these properties rapidly.
I don't store feed for any longer than 1 month and check all bags for ' use by ' dates.
Now that you have seen a deficiency and once you track down some nutridrench , it's best to routinely add it to the drinking water, especially in times of stress, ie molt, brooding and Ill thrift.
Keep us posted on your little one :)

Sorry, my internet has been down a lot today. They're doing alright so far. They'd been on Corid a few days before I posted here and that seems to have calmed the cocci (the bloody droppings have stopped, although at this point I don't believe the cocci is taken care of.) My wee buff who is the only one I definitely know has the bloody droppings this time and last time is still doing well, she seems a bit less active but not too lethargic or out of it. They're all eating and drinking well. My little black silkie seems a bit stunted, growth wise, hopefully the vitamins will help her catch up. My other black silkie who actually has the wry neck seems to be improving slightly. I have to hand feed and water her right now, and she's been eating and drinking significantly more each day. Her neck coordination has improved a lot, although she can't really move around yet. I have her on vitamin E, poly-vi-sol (still trying to get nutridrench) and selenium via molasses. I've been giving her turmeric mixed in some water, as I heard that can help as well, and she seems to like that most of all. I've also been mixing mashed up boiled egg yolk in with her feed. I've heard wry neck can take awhile to cure? The fact that she isn't really walking or feeding/hydrating on her own makes me worry that I am not really helping her and it would be kinder to put her to sleep, but she does not seem to be suffering and still talks to her "siblings" (she is in her own box near their brooder) and seems content so far. She's so sweet and I hope she recovers. Thank you again for all your help.

How long will you keep your chicks on Corid? My vet makes me treat for 21 days. I have my quarantined new Breda pullet on it right now since she tested positive for coccidia the first day she arrived. This bacteria is so common in chicks/juvies that if I get a new shipped bird I will take a fecal sample for testing right away (for worms/cocci). She follows me all around the room and wants to sit on me all the time- I can't get anything done so we solved the problem by putting a mirror at floor level for her to sit next to her reflection. We add turmeric and occasionally Brewer's Yeast to our feed and give Poly-Vi-Sol to our hens about 1 drop once or twice a week for stressful times like heatwaves, rainy days, brooding, molting, egg laying, 4th of July fireworks explosions, etc. Some of my birds like the boiled egg, and one only likes scrambled- go figure chickens? I hope your birdies all make it with all that loving care you're giving them.

Back
Top Bottom