Silkie thread!

Comparing a dog to a roo is a bit of a stretch, but I can see where you are coming from. Just for the record , when I recommend picking the bird up it isn't for a cuddle. It is to take control of the bird , tried and true for my Roos and I have plenty. ;)

I agree. A viscous dog can kill you, a rooster can't. And you are also purposely and knowingly stepping into a roosters domain even if it's just to feed them. I usually bring something to block a mean rooster with when I go around one. If I'm unprepared I ill nudge him away with my foot firmly, but that's only if he's attacking me, cause once you start that he will NOT stop! Still, same, I can see where you are coming from. And I definitely wasn't meaning cuddling either. I was meaning grabbing him and I usually grab his head and just hold him firmly still give him a talking to, maybe I few harsh 'no's then I'll either set him back down or I'd I have more time I'll even flip him over on his back and rub his comb wattles and face. Let him know that even those parts of him he doesn't like being touched, ya, I'll touch them. I can see that for you it's a little different since you don't get as emotionally attached to your birds. I am one of those suckers who falls in love with chickens. So it's a little different. I still don't agree with harsh kicking, but that's my opinion. No fight needed, we all are allowed our own opinions.
263a.png

In my opinion, the best way to never end up with mean roosters is to never keep them EVER. There are so many nice roosters you cheat out of a good home by keeping mean ones. I raise lots of chicks each year and half are hens and half are roosters, as expected of course. It takes forever to find homes for the roosters, and it's so sad because they are usually the sweetest most docile ones. Also, when a mean rooster fathers a cockerel chick the chances are extremely high that the chick will be just as nasty. It doesn't matter how beautiful the rooster is, if he's mean he doesn't stay on my farm. Because of that rule I've kept, I've never had a mean rooster hatch out from my flock because I've never allowed them in.

Their is a difference between mean and protective though. I agree that if I couldn't tame one or id he became a danger to my children then I would have to get rid of my roo. I wouldn't keep one that could harm my children.. :(

I agree. A viscous dog can kill you, a rooster can't. And you are also purposely and knowingly stepping into a roosters domain even if it's just to feed them. I usually bring something to block a mean rooster with when I go around one. If I'm unprepared I ill nudge him away with my foot firmly, but that's only if he's attacking me, cause once you start that he will NOT stop! Still, same, I can see where you are coming from. And I definitely wasn't meaning cuddling either. I was meaning grabbing him and I usually grab his head and just hold him firmly still give him a talking to, maybe I few harsh 'no's then I'll either set him back down or I'd I have more time I'll even flip him over on his back and rub his comb wattles and face. Let him know that even those parts of him he doesn't like being touched, ya, I'll touch them. I can see that for you it's a little different since you don't get as emotionally attached to your birds. I am one of those suckers who falls in love with chickens. So it's a little different. I still don't agree with harsh kicking, but that's my opinion. No fight needed, we all are allowed our own opinions.
263a.png

All good points , but I think you quoted the wrong person.

I my case I don't think it was aggression I think he was just jealous because of stereo tips the hens where getting all the attention! I thought you where suppose to leave the rooster alone my fault!!!every morning and night I pick up and talk to all 15 if my hen I know I am crazy!!! lol and my kids pick them up thru the day!! but I walk out and they come running they even follow me when I am mowing the back yard!!! now I do it to roo more then the hens and he's happy!! yesterday he set in the grass with me little chicks and he yelled at the hens that got to close and just laid next to me!!! animals are so much easier to deal with then people!! my husband makes fun of me because I taught my two isa browns to sit!!!

Cute pictures and glad the roo is better behaved now :) and perhaps try wearing closed toed shoes in their pen or around them?

Also, I really dont mean to offend here but its been bugging ne so i have to ask, are you sure it's a yorkie? Again I really don't mean to offend but it's just it looks more like a schnauzer or schnauzer mix to me. But either way, it is a very very cute dog :D and sorry.

Oh and your roo is gorgeous so i hope you don't have to get rid of him

Looks like a schnauzer to me too

What are some treats y'all feed your Silkies? And, at what age can I start to?

This is just some of the stuff we give our girls - and we make sure to chop up the bigger treats for their little beaks!: Scratch n Peck 3-grain organic seed mix, wild bird seed mix (no dry corn pieces), in winter - raw shelled sunflower seeds and unsalted canned organic corn kernels, year-round they get aromatic organic brown rices (have more nutrition than polished white rices) and add Brewer's Yeast, bee pollen, and Rooster Booster vitamins mixed in, finely chopped-up chard or lettuces, sprouted organic salad seeds, cantaloupe, cucumber chopped up small, dry meal worms, fish flakes, cooked fish/shrimp/or meats, fresh corn cut off the cob, watermelon on hot days, banana, blueberries, grapes, raisins, higher-protein organic plain Greek yogurt. Very very rarely I've given little multi-grain bread flakes with real butter spread on but I prefer not to give GMO or yeast products. I've even given them canned fish catfood in a pinch or canned albacore/tuna but watch the salt content. My feed store guy suggested strawberries but none of my chickens liked them! I tried sardines in olive oil and it just made a mess on their face feathers and my girls didn't really like it for some reason? I don't serve more than the flock can consume in 10 minutes. Rotting food/produce only attracts pests and not good for the chickens to eat bad food later. I personally have chosen not to give my chickens anything from the brassica or nightshade plants - they don't seem to like those veggies anyway. I have only 4 birds so I have the luxury to be fussy. Everybody has their favorite lists - I reference the following on toxic vs safe foods for chickens:
http://web.archive.org/web/20160313051928/http://poultryhelp.com/toxicplants.htm

Back
Top Bottom