Silkied Serama

Sorry Ruthless. I did not mean any harm. I would never do anything to hurt any breed of chickens, especially the Silkie breed or Serama. I am very new at the incubating and breeding of chickens. People cross breed chickens all the time, or at least I thought. People always talk about their "project" chickens. How was i suppose to know that a Silkie Serama was not bred with a Silkie? i will now go back to my corner and sit quietly. After having my hand slapped. From now on I will keep my input to myself.

That's why they call it educating people who are new to this breed as I am. I just got a trio of Silkied Seramas and until I got into researching the breed I also thought they were crossed with Silkies. The only way to learn is to ask questions and I will certainly do that! I'm sorry you got somebody that doesn't know how to educate instead of being rude.

Last edited:
Sorry,I've been away for a while (off the forum).
You are absolutely right,Gooselady,this forum is for teaching,learning,answering questions,showing off your chickens and babies. Sometimes people come down harder than intended or just worded a response in the wrong way. Just take these responses with a grain of salt and keep picking their brains because the information gleaned will be invaluable.In other words, USE THEM !

Sorry,I've been away for a while (off the forum).
You are absolutely right,Gooselady,this forum is for teaching,learning,answering questions,showing off your chickens and babies. Sometimes people come down harder than intended or just worded a response in the wrong way. Just take these responses with a grain of salt and keep picking their brains because the information gleaned will be invaluable.In other words, USE THEM !
Lol ok I sure will! Thank you. I just felt bad for that lady. I have a cockerel and a pullet Silkied Serama that I'm getting ready to show later this month. Am very excited about that. I'm in love with the Seramas! I also just hatched off some Silkies and I'm going to restart the incubator again. I'm hoping to have some Silkies to show by next spring. Thanks again for your reply. I will heed your advice. :)

My 9 month old little pullet still won't lay!!!! She was slower to develop then the roo. Anyone else had really late starters?
I do. My pullets still haven't started laying yet. My little cockerel is crowing and trying to breed the pullets but they run from him and are not laying. So I'm right there with you.

How big are your girls? How much do they weigh? Sometimes if they are really tiny,they won't lay(say 6-8oz or so, but I'm no expert on the weight )They call these mini and micro mini . But, they could be just late. (maybe they know what's coming and just don't want to grow up)!!

Anyone?

Bugglesmommy, does your girl have really short legs or is that the pix? She's a very pretty girl by the way. Love seeing pictures of everyones "chooks"!

How big are your girls? How much do they weigh? Sometimes if they are really tiny,they won't lay(say 6-8oz or so, but I'm no expert on the weight )They call these mini and micro mini . But, they could be just late. (maybe they know what's coming and just  don't want to grow up)!!

Anyone?

Bugglesmommy,  does your girl have really short legs or is that the pix? She's a very pretty girl by the way. Love seeing pictures of everyones "chooks"!
Both of my girls are tiny. I think they are just young. My little cockerel just started crowing good. He sounded like he had a cough when he first started. I'm going to give them time and just enjoy them right now. I will probably expand my Silkied Seramas later on. I don't believe in mixing the breeds.

I have found that a majority of the silkied serama females are not as good of layers as the smooth. I have many and the best of them might lay 1-2 eggs per week.

CassyBB - Where are you located? There aren't many of us with silkied serama and, unfortunately, they aren't as popular as the smoother and/or frizzled. I have many in varying colors right now and love them due to their sweet disposition. I try to take at least one to every show so as to expose newcomers to the breed as well as other serama breeders. They are usually a big hit!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom