Smoky Mtn East TN

Working with American giant runt show utility pigeons. I know couple others on here had large show utility types. Any want to talk about? These are massive meaty strong thick birds..

Last edited:
Hey peeps! Is there anyone going to the April 1st show in Knoxville?

@laughingdog --- I'm curious....what pigeons can you use for messenger pigeons? And how do you train them to go to certain places?? I know they used to use them, but how? I have often thought of trying some, but not sure what to do. Thx! I assume it's Homers...but I have seen some American Show racers that I loved. Do you have those? Or eggs? I might try to build a loft this year

Last edited:
Hey Lunar,
Yes circumstances permitting, I'll be going to April first show (times again?). Homers bred on, or raised from squeakers when feathers under wings have come in, kept up for month if squeakers, released to loft fly for month, then taken block away, then miles away, then five miles away, then ten miles etc doubling based on type and quality have, till get to hundred, six hundred or couple thousand.. in each of four direction when increasing toss distance. Some racers sprinters and made to go shorter distances faster only of hundred miles on average. Breed from fastest returning from all directions only from longest distance you wanna take away (hundred six hundred or two thousand miles). Feed can be placed at one and water another aside from home and breeding loft for some who know how to work them better than me. Homing types raised from Homers/racers best to use, non show stock.. otherwise they won't home at all. I've heard Damascens havegood homing ability same as some tipplers etc Pigeons bred primarily to go long or and high hours of flying. That said I've had ferals sky cutters rollers etc that had great homing instinct (though supposedly incredibly rare and all can get lost blown block away apparently as breeds). Right now I only have Birmingham rollers who proved hawk proof for now (lotta BOPs attack at once when release them), and some show American giant runts.

Last edited:
I have looked at muffed? Birmingham rollers. I love the feathers on the legs. Do you have those? I would like to start with just a pair or maybe a trio. I just can't afford Sam ?? birds I found on the net. I just would like to have a few to tinker with. I love my chickens, but would like a side project. I would like to make sure they come home though. lol So, I would like to find a few squeakers to raise. I have a flight cage attached on the end of my chicken pen(long carport cover). It is 8'w x12'L x 8fH. With just a few, would that be good enough if I build a loft to go in there? I have actually built some perches and attached them onto a plywood wall already, but I am still doing research and looking for birds. I am not looking to race or anything. I just would like to have some to work with. When I lived in GA. I had a neighbor that raised them on the roof of our bldg. Those were ?Blue Bar? and she had some fancy ?Fantails? as well. They were pretty, but I would like to have some that I can let fly and they will come back.

Thanks for the info. I will keep researching them and maybe start building a loft.
smile.png

I just have Birmingham rollers for now. With few runts. Some of my rollers have tiny feathers covering their legs n part to most of feet (grouse footing). They always come back unless hawks get them, I just don't take them even mile away, though some groups would fly miles away that cannot see were way over mountains and come back hours to days later fat and happy crops bulging. Your setup sounds good. One by ones work good for most Pigeons as they like the size square shape etc n they can easier guess cover feet. Course mine have always loved brick perches second close best to one by one square perches.

Hello again all long time no see. Been gone from BYC for a few years do to in laws moving in. Uggggg. Hope everyone is OK after last night storms. I am in process of switching breeds on chickens can't find any good breeders local states to get another rooster so have to buy from hatchery. After 8 years I am backtracking so I am switching.
I have breeder eggs coming in that I am picking up in person next month. Got some I am getting today same breed different color in breed. Ordered some chicks from hatchery too to get new rooster. Just seeing if it is worth continuing with them. Have local friend that moved here from out of state that we will be working together on this project now. Hope to have her grandkids show as they like to in other breeds. But that will be down the road.
So we both are OK in Greenville today.

Welcome back. I was off for a long streak too. I am thinking of adding some new things to my flocks as well. Been looking into some Pigeons and doves.

Back
Top Bottom