South Carolina

Hi Brandon

There are two links that might help you. The first is for the Poultry Show Central listing for South Carolina. http://www.poultryshowcentral.com/South_Carolina.html. This is where the different clubs list their upcoming shows. When you click on one of the listings, then you'll open a page that has details about that particular show.

The next is the Ameraucana Breeders Club Meet page. http://www.ameraucana.org/meets.html. This is where we list all the upcoming meets that are Ameraucana Breeders Club sanctioned, so members can earn points, prizes, ribbons, etc offered by the Ameraucana Breeders Club. We are at most of the SC shows.

When you've found a show that you're interested in entering, download their catalog (or contact the listed Show Secretary, if it's not posted yet), fill the form out and send it, with your entry fees in. Be sure to check what the requirements for health certifications are for that show. I think most shows in SC offer Pullorum/Thyphoid testing at the door, but it's good to check.

As far as what to look for in a show chicken, the best way to start is to: 1) buy a Standard from the APA, study it for your breed. 2) Join your breed club - it is a great resource for learning about your breed from those that have it, breed it, and are showing it. 3) Attend some shows - with or without your own birds. Meet some of the other exhibitors, look at the birds.

Hope this helps - good luck!

Oh, I meant to add: Here is the list of upcoming shows, including one in Edgefield, SC

Feb 6 - Low Country Classic, Blackville, SC
Feb 27 - Ten Governors Classic, Edgefield, SC
Mar 19 - PeeDee Poultry Show, Lake City, SC

thanks this is very helpful I will do some more research on these I currently have an Americana but I don't know if she meets the breed standards but now that I have them I can see how she stands.
bow.gif

I didn't know this. That would make it easier for me. I haven't gone NPIP yet. I'm just dreading rounding up 130 birds for the first round of tests
Sandlappers always has someone there testing, but you need to get there early. I think PeeDee will have, but I'm not sure about Edgefield. It is so easy to just flash that NPIP card when you check in! :)

Sandlappers always has someone there testing, but you need to get there early. I think PeeDee will have, but I'm not sure about Edgefield. It is so easy to just flash that NPIP card when you check in! :)

I know, I just hate the thought of rounding up all the birds. And being on a government list
gig.gif

I need to do it if I want to ship chicks, though

thanks this is very helpful I will do some more research on these I currently have an Americana but I don't know if she meets the breed standards but now that I have them I can see how she stands.
bow.gif

Where are you in SC? I'm in upstate, and will have some very nice BBS chicks soon. Samouw is in the middle part of the state with some nice birds as well.
Sounds like you may have done like me and bought an Americana that is actually an Easter Egger. There's nothing wrong with EEs. They are beautiful birds that lay pretty eggs. I have a bunch of them myself in a separate pen. If you want to show, though, you will want purebred Ameraucanas

Where are you in SC? I'm in upstate, and will have some very nice BBS chicks soon. Samouw is in the middle part of the state with some nice birds as well.
Sounds like you may have done like me and bought an Americana that is actually an Easter Egger. There's nothing wrong with EEs. They are beautiful birds that lay pretty eggs. I have a bunch of them myself in a separate pen. If you want to show, though, you will want purebred Ameraucanas
this is what mine looks like. I bought it as a rescue it was pretty bad either molted or rooster rode it just recently got all its feathers back
I live in Easley, SC I want to get americanas, Lavender orpingtons, and sebrights.

this is what mine looks like. I bought it as a rescue it was pretty bad either molted or rooster rode it just recently got all its feathers back I live in Easley, SC I want to get americanas, Lavender orpingtons, and sebrights.
Yeah, she's an EE, but a pretty one. I'm about 45 minutes from you and have Ameraucanas. Pick a Chick Farms is near you with pretty Lav Orps. I not sure on the sebrights

Back
Top Bottom