South Carolina

Quote:
That would be wonderful! Did you read that on the Dominique thread?

Yes but you can Google it and find information on that as well

Well, I did google it and I think I have 2 males. They show the spot on the head for pullets to be very round and the cockerels to be more starred. I think mine are starred. The legs come in to play also but I have nothing to compare to there but each other--and their legs are pretty much the same color. I guess even if I get 2 cockerel I have a start. I could even get hatchery pullets to breed to them if I can not get anything else. Time will tell....
he.gif

Quote:
Guineas lay April thru Sept. Mine free range and I honestly never see them at the feeders. They do come running for treats though. Guineas are easy keepers if you can turn them out.

Humm, here near the coast mine do start before April. It must be our warmer temperatures. Now it might take a month or so for them to all get laying good. I do not start hatching guineas until after Easter though so there first eggs get eaten or sold. Now as far as eating, my free range birds here are still hogs and will eat every last bite from a feeder if they can get to it. I only have about 12 or 15 that are free ranging now though due to the porch building. Most of those loose are the large French breed.

It is interesting how the same breed of bird can be different in different places and under different situations. Mine have learned to look to me for food probably because I usually put them all up at night in the spring and summer with food.

Came home from school late last night only to hear peeps coming from the incubator in the kitchen! I had 6 valley quail eggs and had forgotten they were in the incubator until the day they were supposed to hatch! I hadn't added any water, the humidity was at 40%, the turner was still going. Figuring I had lost them already, I went ahead and added some water to up the humidity just in case, turned off the turner and expected to toss them out a couple days later. All 6 have hatched as of this morning! I am very excited as I no longer have the parents. I can't wait for spring so I can start hatching some eggs from my chickens!

Quote:
That's awesome! I've forgotten to move eggs in my big cabinet incubator. I'll hear chirping and uh oh. I had one yesterday that actually fell down the back because it hatched on the back row. Fell down three rows of eggs and was behind the hatcher. It's a long way! Poor thing. But it seems fine. I'm sure they hatch out on the turner and think, "What in the world?!"
smile.png

Quote:
That's awesome! I've forgotten to move eggs in my big cabinet incubator. I'll hear chirping and uh oh. I had one yesterday that actually fell down the back because it hatched on the back row. Fell down three rows of eggs and was behind the hatcher. It's a long way! Poor thing. But it seems fine. I'm sure they hatch out on the turner and think, "What in the world?!"
smile.png

yuckyuck.gif

Back
Top Bottom