Southern NY, Dutchess county and below

Somehow I have one more chicken than I previously posted.

Another Ameraucana followed me home! How did that happen?

O.K., 8 chicks! That's it, I'm done (for now)!
Seriously doubt that!!
tongue2.gif

So the fox was hanging out in our front yard again. He took a nap on the front porch at 6:00am for an hour! Argh. I set a large coon trap with beef dog food, hopefully I won't catch a skunk. The local wildlife guy said he'd take away the fox and release it for me for a fee. Wish me luck guys!

I'd be smacking that fool thing with the broom.
ON THE FRONT PORCH???

I also run outside in my underwear screaming at the deer eating my bushes.
Luckily I'm far off the street!

Oh, the chick starter was 18%, not 20%

So the fox was hanging out in our front yard again. He took a nap on the front porch at 6:00am for an hour! Argh. I set a large coon trap with beef dog food, hopefully I won't catch a skunk. The local wildlife guy said he'd take away the fox and release it for me for a fee. Wish me luck guys!
Good luck with that. I descented my trap, covered it in leaf litter, lined the floor of it in leaf litter, put stinky fish catfood in there and all I got was an opposum. Perhaps yours is a bit more accustomed to human odors since it has decided that your porch is a nice outcrop for napping on. I am moving mine and resetting it to see if I can catch the fox we have. FYI, if you do get a skunk, put a dark blanket over the cage and prop open the door very gently and get the heck out of the way. I tied a length of hemp rope to the cage door and ran it out behind the trap so I could pull the door open without being in front of it (just in case I captured a skunk).

I'd be smacking that fool thing with the broom.
ON THE FRONT PORCH???

I also run outside in my underwear screaming at the deer eating my bushes.
Luckily I'm far off the street!

Oh, the chick starter was 18%, not 20%
lau.gif

good thing we are not neighbors, they would cordon us off and call it a funny farm. I am constantly running out to chase things out of our yard, or to capture my dog to keep him from chasing things.

I got nuthin'. On the freaking front porch? I thought foxes were sly, not ballsy!

So I came home in this terribly depressed mood and I saw my neighbor cleaning out her car. I've been trying to catch her home to bring her some eggs, so I went right over with a dozen. We had a really nice talk - it sort of lifted my spirits a bit. I guess it's true what they say about getting out of your own head. We had some bad blood for awhile, but since Laura's in the FD with her husband and son, and since Bobby does the "Wilson" thing over the fence, everything's been good lately.

Baked a cake, did some laundry, started a crocheted owl for Laura and took a little nap earlier. It all helped.

But not as much as looking (again) at Karen's orthopedic chick shoes and reading about Heather's fox and picturing Roberta chasing deer in her underwear. Thanks. I needed that!

In a couple of days I'll post pictures of the new back lawn. I water it and admire it twice daily!

Last edited:
Good luck with that. I descented my trap, covered it in leaf litter, lined the floor of it in leaf litter, put stinky fish catfood in there and all I got was an opposum. Perhaps yours is a bit more accustomed to human odors since it has decided that your porch is a nice outcrop for napping on. I am moving mine and resetting it to see if I can catch the fox we have. FYI, if you do get a skunk, put a dark blanket over the cage and prop open the door very gently and get the heck out of the way. I tied a length of hemp rope to the cage door and ran it out behind the trap so I could pull the door open without being in front of it (just in case I captured a skunk). 

Yeah the wildlife guy was basically, "good luck with that" when I mentioned trapping it myself. I only have the trap because of the monster woodchuck nicknamed Godzilla that ate all my pumpkins and melon last year. This year I went with fencing and a puppy. Never did catch Godzilla.

If I had seen it believe me I'd be out there in my pj's ranting too! John saw it run past him on his way to work at 5:00am so we checked the cameras and that's when we saw it napping. It also ran past me at 1:15 in the afternoon a while ago. I don't like how brazen it's getting, I'm more worried bout my children than the hens at this point.

Ooh, I just thought of something, going to go put the trail camera up too

Back
Top Bottom