Southern NY, Dutchess county and below

The DEC does not allow you to relocate wildlife without a permit so be discreet about your capture and release of wildlife. I know because when I moved where I am now I had a red squirrel infestation. The previous owner liked to feed the local wildlife shelled peanuts by just leaving piles of them around. The house was over-run with red squirrels.

Long story short, it would've made the DEC happier if I shot red squirrels instead of trapping and relocating them.
Exactly-they want you to kill them or get a permit (pay to get one!) to relocate. I know which I'd choose. I hate hurting any animal, however, after a previous experience with raccoons killing my entire flock in one night, and continually harassing me if I go outside at night...I'm pretty sure I am justified in making sure my family and flock are safe. After reading the DEC website, it's clear that you are right. They want you to kill them. In suffolk county they say there's probably 100 per square mile. Well, not in my yard, I can tell ya that!

You would be surprised... when I had the other ones they fought all day long and I had 3 more hens then (only 19 hens at the moment... 3 juvenile pullets, 3 unknown chicks). Besides, can you see a little banty trying to wing dance my 8 lb brahma hens??? lol. Might be worth it just to see.
gig.gif

I'll pay for admission to see that!

Exactly-they want you to kill them or get a permit (pay to get one!) to relocate. I know which I'd choose. I hate hurting any animal, however, after a previous experience with raccoons killing my entire flock in one night, and continually harassing me if I go outside at night...I'm pretty sure I am justified in making sure my family and flock are safe. After reading the DEC website, it's clear that you are right. They want you to kill them. In suffolk county they say there's probably 100 per square mile. Well, not in my yard, I can tell ya that!

Always do what you have to in order to protect life, limb and property of you and your loved ones. Just - be discreet!

Came out today during broad daylight and see a coon taking off with a splash hen! Had had a little too much wine so I went running after him and he dropped her (the beauty of wine)! She's fine, now nobody can go out until about 7PM and I spend an hour outside with them til 8. Poor guys. Gotta count tonite to see if I'm missing any more. And here I'm blaming the hawks!

I live in Wading River,ON the river, and if there's 1 there's 100's! Unfortunately can't shoot them during the day and that's the only ones that bother me. If I don't lock them up, that's my fault, but during the day, right out of the coop?! NOT!

Came out today during broad daylight and see a coon taking off with a splash hen! Had had a little too much wine so I went running after him and he dropped her (the beauty of wine)! She's fine, now nobody can go out until about 7PM and I spend an hour outside with them til 8. Poor guys. Gotta count tonite to see if I'm missing any more. And here I'm blaming the hawks!
Uuuugh, that stinks. Not the wine part, but def the racoon part. I am soooo glad your hen is ok, very lucky girl.

Whew! Plenty of raccoon troubles around here which reminds me, I have to go lock up my hens! Getting dark out there!

Heather, here is another tee I made with you in mind. I can wear it too as I love to bird watch. It'll be on my site tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom