Southern vs. Northern Speak

Picky Chicky

Songster
11 Years
Sep 22, 2008
Holly Grove, VA
I love hearing the differences of what a Southern may say versus a Northern... what can you contribute?

What do you call a carbonated drink?
Soda
Pop
Coke (Regardless of what the actual drink is)

What do you put groceries into?
Buggie
Cart

What do you call missing school?
Skipping
Playing Hookie
Layin' Out (I used this one after living in Knoxville, TN)

My X-DW's name is Dawn and mine is Don. When we lived down south
both names sounded the same. Down & Down. Is Down there?

Sorta like Dowg or Dawg.
tongue.png

Down south they say grits. Up here they say what?
wink.png

Well occasionally you'll hear y'all used in the north or midwest, you wont often hear "all ya'll" anywhere but the south. My friend from Alabama calls every pop coke no matter what it is too lol. "big ol" is definitely southern, and only southerners know exactly where "yonder" is. Is something that is located diagonally from where you are, kitty-corner, or catty-corner? Down south they warsh winders, while up north they're washing windows.

Quote:
Dont know how to do the phonetic thing, but do understand.

Try battery, water, wash, creek etc....

LOL I don't pronounce it this way, but I've heard the differences and it's crazy because sometimes I feel like I need a translator!
big_smile.png

Creek (is how I said it), but the hardcore Southern folks sometimes say Crick.

I say Cal-cu-lator... but I have some Southern friends that call it a Cack-u-lator.

Wash vs. Wursh

Hmm... not sure if I've heard the roof pronounced differently.

My DH is from Jersey and I teased the crap outta him in the beginning when he refused (at first) to say Ya'll versus Youss guys. Ahhh!!! Nails down a chalk board!

They have grits in the north...but it's called polenta.

Cornbread is made in a cast iron skillet, It it crunchy on the outside and soft inside, It's made with buttermilk and it's about 3" thick. That stuff they give you that's 1" thick, a little brown on top and a little brown on bottom and tastes sweet....We call that cake.

In the south I grew up with spinniach, kale, collard, polk, mustard, and dandylion, just to name a few greens. In the north they have broccoli....

Quote:
in the UK ............

Lemonade or whatever flavour drink with an "ade" on the end..
Coke is coke, and Pepsi is pepsi

Trolley.........

Playing Truant (in my day) ......

roof- I say ruhf
Creek-I say creek
wash- I say wash
water- I say water (PA they say wooter
big_smile.png
)

We buy POP and put it in our CART.

That is funny, I never though I spoke anything southern, but I do say "ya'll", though rarely "all ya'll". I knew some people from PA that would say "yous guys" or worse, just "yous". GRRRR!

Yonder, big 'ol and catty- corner were all things I grew up saying.

But what about this one? Does anyone know where this comes from? I say this, but no one else around here does.
bush or push- I say boosh or poosh

Back
Top Bottom