"Springing in the Chicks" 2016 April Hatch-a-Long Hosted by Mike & Sally

She's great, thanks!  She went back out with the other chicks that same night, and now aside from her wonky wings there's no way to tell her from the other 2 White Orpingtons!  

Let's see.  I pulled
2 Bantam Clears
1 Silkie Clear
1 Nankin Clear

Which leaves me with:
3 Australorps (2 questionable, 1 good development)
1 EE
1 Naked Neck
1 Leghorn
1 Cochin
Of those, the only strong air cell are in the EE and 1 Australorp, so we'll see.  We're on day 12

I'm glad you're doing better.  I didn't send you any messages. I'm a baaaaad girl.  :oops:

X2 :oops:

Do not separate her from the flock or put a heat lamp up. She will keep the chicks warm, that's her job. And isolating her will just make reintroduction that much harder.
They gotta be moved not enough room for her and 23 chicks in the box for long and with 5 other broodies in there everyone else is moving out, The roosters won't even go in the broodies kicked their behinds.

Whew! Chatty group! Can't remember all I just read but sounds like every one is busy.

Sally - Glad you are back among us.

Happy hatching everyone. I am still impatiently waiting for Sunday for my first candling. I hate being late to the party and seeing everyone with fluffy butts. It makes waiting harder!

I would if I thought they needed it but they are doing fine , they run around the big nest and cuddle up instead of getting under the hen

That's awesome they're doing so well! I was more thinking if all 23 hatch as thats a lot to cover LOL

Not a heat lamp!!! Please. Go get a simple heat pad from Walmart and attach to the side of the nest area. That way if mamma can't cover all they can snuggle near her and the heat pad. Put on low and place a thin cloth over it or the cloth cover it comes with.

Do not separate her from the flock or put a heat lamp up. She will keep the chicks warm, that's her job. And isolating her will just make reintroduction that much harder. 

NO HEAT LAMP!!! I lost my whole hatch from Valentine's Day due to a stray feather that caught fire... Lost my whole coop.

true. And perhaps you could have her in the same coop but seperate but in sight of the others

They gotta be moved not enough room for her and 23 chicks in the box for long and with 5 other broodies in there everyone else is moving out, The roosters won't even go in the broodies kicked their behinds.

Maybe there's a way to make them visible to the flock?

That's awesome they're doing so well! I was more thinking if all 23 hatch as thats a lot to cover LOL

true. And perhaps you could have her in the same coop but seperate but in sight of the others
Lol she went from lowest in pecking order to now everyone wants to be her lol

Whew! Chatty group! Can't remember all I just read but sounds like every one is busy.

Sally - Glad you are back among us.

Happy hatching everyone. I am still impatiently waiting for Sunday for my first candling. I hate being late to the party and seeing everyone with fluffy butts. It makes waiting harder!

Tell me about it. I'm only on day 3-4. So hard to wait.
1f602.png
1f602.png
at least I've got my 40+ chicks from Easter/husband going crazy at feed store. I will be working on cleaning the small pen and reinforcing that crazy store bought coop. No nest box needed yet. To young.
1f602.png

Back
Top Bottom