Square Foot Gardening Thread

Quote:
No Lo Bait is not an insecticide and it's not a "natural remedy" but it is organic. It's considered an enzyme. It was developed for agricultural use. Studies were conducted in fields where strips were treated with the bait and alternating strips were not. The carry over effect into the un treated strips was from lack of egg develpment and reduced hatch the following spring. Studies also show that birds or reptiles that eat a grasshopper that has ingested the bait showed no affects since they don't produce chiton. I use it in the flower beds as well as the vegetable garden. I also sprinkle it around the edges of the garden and yard to knock out wayward grasshoppers. I have found it at TLC Nurseries in Oklahoma.

Sounds like a miracle powder! Thanks for the info.

Ditto
thumbsup.gif

Are there any beneficials that need to make chiton to live? I tried to do a quick search last pm to see, and didn't find an answer, I'll try again today or tomorrow when I have more time.

Quote:
I've used No Lo Bait for 8 years every two years and have loads of lady bugs, bees, preying mantis, artillery bugs, and lots of pollinators.
I still have to treat for the other bad bugs like potatoe bugs, squash bugs, harlequin bugs, spider mite and aphids. Besides handpicking, I use a mixture of Pyloria and Soap Shield....a mixture that is organic. I also use BT for catepillers. I'm discretionary where and when I spray just because I'm a garden grazer, I eat right from the garden as I weed or pick....nothing better than a tomato, pepper or carrot washed with the hose and eatten while you work.

All these products are recommended by Organic Gardeningmagazine and by other organic readings.

Last edited:
Quote:
I've used No Lo Bait for 8 years every two years and have loads of lady bugs, bees, preying mantis, artillery bugs, and lots of pollinators.
I still have to treat for the other bad bugs like potatoe bugs, squash bugs, harlequin bugs, spider mite and aphids. Besides handpicking, I use a mixture of Pyloria and Soap Shield....a mixture that is organic. I also use BT for catepillers. I'm discretionary where and when I spray just because I'm a garden grazer, I eat right from the garden as I weed or pick....nothing better than a tomato, pepper or carrot washed with the hose and eatten while you work.

All these products are recommended by Organic Gardeningmagazine and by other organic readings.

Me too, I graze as I work all the time. And have a hair trigger reactive airway.

CENTRAL TX HAD RAIN LAST NIGHT! WOO-HOO!!!
wee.gif

Almost 2 inches, too, which is great. I think the temps were only around 90 and it felt cool compared to what we have had.

Just wanted to shout it out!
smile.png

The rain was a little late for my grapes. Unless I choose to look at it as growing raisins.
lol.png

23095_growing_raisins.jpg

Quote:
I love your fresh crop of raisins!
lau.gif
We are finally getting some rain right now too. It was much needed. So glad you got the rain you were hoping for!

Planted a second bed of lima beans Wednesday and they are already up...not just up but putting out real leaves....heat and water and good soil! Seeds are planted 4 inches apart and the rows are 12 inches apart.

Pulled some carrots again today... some were 7 inches long....Nantes and Danvers half long do better in Oklahoma. The rows are planted thick as a 3 inch wide trench....rows are 8 inches apart with 6 inches on each side of the bed....4 foot wide bed. Planted in late February, we have been pulling and eatting the thinnings since the 1st of May.

Found evidence of a mole cricket. That is one ugly critter...lives in the ground and chews holes in potatoes and carrots...besides killing them when I turn the soil, I don't know of anything organic to use one them.

Is anyone having problems with their pole beans this year? Mine are over 6 feet tall, blooms and bees everywhere and not the first bean? Someone told me it's because we've had too hot a summer already. I hate to keep wasting the water on them, but I'm hoping they produce.

Quote:
Where are you located? Hot winds can dry out the pollen before the bees can get it distributed.
Bloom set can be sprayed on the blossoms but that would be a job!
Keep the water going and as long as they bloom when the temps drop you should get some beans.
Or, remove them and replant for a later harvest when the temps drop.

We're in middle GA, near the AL line. It's been extremely hot and dry here since April. We'll I'll keep watering and hope for the best. It's my first year with pole beans. I normally do bush and I think I'll be putting those in the ground instead of trying the poles again. Thanks!!

Back
Top Bottom