Strange beak w/other symptoms UPDATED WITH PIC Pg. 2

OHMYCHICKIES

Songster
11 Years
May 28, 2008
I noticed that one of my light brahmas chicks has a messy beak all the time. I picked her up and noticed that her bottom beak is alot smaller than the top one. Her bottom beak doesn't reach the tip of the top one. I believe she's eating so I don't have to worry there but do I have to do something to it? Any future problems I will encounter?

Last edited:
Is it deformed or has the top beak grown too much? Cement blocks or bricks in their pen are good for them to sharpen her beak on. I clip my banties with a finger nail clipper when the are in cages, but only a little.

the search button could be used for BEAK. There was a case back a while ago where the person, I think, built some kind of beak on their chicken. I dont know if I spelled that right might have a c in it.

I do think that the top beak grew too much. She is kinda bigger than the others, not sure if that helps. She seems like she eats plenty. Will they grind down their beak by themselves? She is only 2 weeks old, so not sure if she'll know
idunno.gif

If she is only 2 weeks I would just wait and see how she is in a couple more weeks, they know how to trim their beaks as long as they have something to wipe it on that is hard and will grind it down. Watch them and when they get done eating they wipe their beak back and forth on the ground and floor, that is how it keeps sharpened and short. My cochins were in the cages and they had nothing to wipe their beaks on, that is why I had to trim them. If she gets worse then you should probably repost and maybe try to post a picture

I'm noticing that this chick sleeps standing up and now has a small bump underneath the bottom beak. Is she getting sick or is she sick? What can I do?

I dont know what to say,,,I wish someone else would have an answer.

Could you try some chick vitamins and minerals and electrolytes? That might help. And some Stoneybrook farm yoghurt. Maybe a scrambled egg for her.

Back
Top Bottom