Strange beak w/other symptoms UPDATED WITH PIC Pg. 2

Here is the pic. She just finished drinking water so the feathers are matted down, so you can see the bump better. She chirps and sleeps alot and not sure what to do. When she swallows or eats, it looks like the bump moves with every swallow. Seeming weird looking. The other ones pick her beak clean because she always has food on the sides.

11063_sicklb.jpg

actually it's a hard piece of mass. When she opens her mouth to eat and drink, she moves her bottom beak with the mass. It's kinda hard to describe but she always looks likes she having difficulty eating but she still eats. Her bottom beak doesn't even fill in the top's width, if you know what I mean.

Last edited:
Can you get a picture from the front as well? That might help give folks more detail as well. How long has she had the growth, and does it seem to be getting bigger?

She's been like this. I never noticed it before only as she's getting bigger it's more of a problem. No vet close by. I mean, I could take her to someone that has chickens and they might know but alot of people out here just let their chickens be, live or die, not that caring, they just get more.

Here is a front pic. It's does seem like the mass is getting bigger. One thing I notice is that, I can put her back on my palm and have her rest her head and she will close her eyes, curl her legs and sleep.

11063_sicklb2.jpg

Well, it's definitely not supposed to be there; hopefully, it's just a benign tumor. It seems like if it's growing, though, it may interrupt her ability to get food swallowed down, if it's also growing internally. I checked in my Chicken Health Handbook, and it sounds like the only treatment is removal of the tumor if you can find an avian vet nearby. Maybe she'll do okay, though.

Are you feeding vitamins in their water? I really like Avia Charge 2000. You mix it right in with their water, and it's loaded with vitamins and minerals for them. GOOD LUCK!

I'm not giving vitamins in the water but I'll go get some. I'll check with my local stores. Thanks, at least it's a step.

Oh, you're more than welcome - I just wish I knew more about things such as this so I could give you some good advice. Perhaps someone else will come along soon with much better advice than I can give! Your chick sure is a cutie - hope everything goes well!!

Back
Top Bottom